1984 Vette.......should I buy??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 02, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I ran across an '84 Vette today for $2k. And it's tempting me to buy it. Calling out to me....hehe
Anyhow, the body's straight (with one not major flaw), needs a paint job bad, the interior looks semi-rough (I've seen worse) seats are good, the column is messed up and doesn't sit in place right (will need new driver side dash probably) the headlights won't go down and I couldn't get em to go on, possibly an electrical mess but the dash/gauges worked and it needs a new plexi/lexan top.
Mechanically it sounds strong and runs pretty good (could use a tune-up) and it leaks oil, like lots on the pass. side but I think that's just from someone not putting on the valve cover gasket right cause that's where it looked like it was coming from (you know wet look).

Well that's pretty much a run down, I'm gonna give it a closer inspection tommorrow. So should I buy it? 120k miles on speedo

PS what tranny does this thing have? (It's an auto 4spd) And is it fuel injection? (I think so?) If I don't fix it up I'm tempted to part it out. You guys are the pros so help me out with some opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 02, 11:13 PM
Senior Tech

if you can afford it, get it. should be able to almost make that amount back on parts, maybe, and still have a shell to make a drag car out of or something.
the tranny would be a 700r4, and the engine is probably the cease fire-uh, i mean crossfire- fuel injection setup. there are people out there that like these engines, but they are far out numbered by those that think it was a cruel joke chevrolet played on a horsepower starved public.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 05:36 AM

Crossfire Injection?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 06:10 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by classiccamaros:
Crossfire Injection?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cross-fire injection is an early TBI setup with two throttle bodies mounted on a cross-ram style intake. For it's day it's performance wasn't bad, but it had major reliability issues and instantly became obsolete with the release of Tuned Port Injection. TPI outperforms CFI by a bunch.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech

Personal opinion the 84 was the worst Corvette made. They made too many changes and reliablity was non existent. You really can't use a lot of the parts and like Eric said the Crossfire was a real piece of junk.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 06:57 AM
Tech Team

'84 Vettes also ride about as well as a skateboard. My sister had one "back in the day" and I gotta tell ya, the fillings in my teeth damn near vibrated loose after ten minutes of driving it on real world roads.

There are reasons the 1984 model sells so cheap.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 08:04 AM

Exactly, I have previous experience with cross-fire in a 82' Z28, it was a nightmare. I'd pass on it, personally........
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech

My old man had an '84, great handling car, but the Xfire setup stinks.
He got a B&M underhood blower and efi setup for it and would 0-60 in less than 4.6 secs...

I'd go for it if you had the cash,

You know, you can fit a big block into 'em...

John
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 12:21 PM

I think the 84 gets a bad rap sometimes. I love it for a daily work driver. At 150k I put in a new crate motor and tranny from Chevrolet, added new black interior,put on Zr1 style wheels and at 200k its still great. Don't let the crossfire scare you. Those were the only parts I did not replace and it still runs perfect.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 07:16 PM
David Pozzi

I had an 84, the crossfire is a lot of torque but no top end. It runs out of air at about 4800. I had the Z/51 HD suspension, it handled nicely but was pretty stiff riding. Compared to the two 72 vettes I'd had, I'd say the ride was much better than those earlier vettes. You still bounced over a bump, but it was a rubber cushioned bump on the 84, the 72 hitting a bump was a clunk! also interior noise was much lower on the 84.

The 700R4 was very weak on the early vettes, got several upgrades around 88 as I recall. Don't let the trans run low on oil, or it's gone, fast.
Later vettes got heavier duty differentials too. I think the manual trans cars recieved a Dana 44 diff around 86? Auto used a weaker diff.

Later models got better stuff all around, so if you just want to cruse, this one sounds good. If you want something to hop up, you are going to wind up breaking drivetrain parts, and having to upgrade them.

I'd consider post 88 vettes, bigger wheels, brakes, heavier drivetrain, better trans, roller cam.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 06-06-2002).]
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks all.
As always, all the info I need to make the smart choice. I'll be keeping my eye out for a newer junker to hop up.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 02, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I would buy it and drive the **** out of it, there fun to drive around and you can easly have 2 g's worth of fun with it and you can always get your money back parting it out, when your done. BUT, I wouldn't sink a bunch cheese in it....speedy.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 02, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Buy it, then part it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode