shifter plate question - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 02, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

OK, I need some help. Does the shifter plate for a 69' camaro need to be mounted directly on top of the tranny tunnel sheet metal, or can it be mounted on top of the sound deadner I plan on using. Will I have any issues on puting down "deadner" and then installing the shifter plate.

thanks,

grey899

ps- I'm considering using a spray-in bedliner type material in the floor pans and trunk area for sound deading and future rust prevention. HAs anyone tried this, and if so what's your experience been with it.

I know I just saw a similar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 02, 01:48 AM
Senior Tech

You can mount the shifter boot plate on top of the carpet, the screws will be long enough. I have used a spray can type of rubberized undercoating on the interior floor pans. It worked pretty well, it just took a while to dry completely.

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 02, 04:45 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I don't think the spray in stuff would work as near as good as the stick on stuff tlike Dynamat. The spray on stuff won't have as much mass. I would put stick on stuff inside, and then spray the underside with the bedliner.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 02, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

Grey899 - the bedliner stuff is a good idea. It became available in the spray on cans for home use when I was in the middle of totally rebuilding my car. (04/96-04/98) I had already undercoated my car when it came out, so I didn't get to use it under the car except in the rear wheelwells. I really wish it had came out in time for me to do the entire underbody, it has worked great under the wheelwells.

I also coated the entire interior floor and trunk. It has held up perfectly. But I don't think it is a great sound deadener on its own. I still used sound deadening material over it inside the car. Dynamat or someone makes a spray on sound deadener, it's not cheap but should work well. I'd look into using that in the interior.

But I would definitely go with the bedliner under the car and in the trunk. Looks much better than undercoating and easy to clean.

One last note, I used POR15 on the complete interior and underbody before doing anything else. This stuff works great at preventing rust.

Good luck,

------------------
Ray

68 SS Convertible
Yellow - (77 Corvette)
383 w/DFI Fuel Injection
on MiniRamII intake,
Trick Flow heads
Tremec 5 sp, 3.31 12bolt Posi
Guildstrand Mod
AGR 12:1 power steering
Bent short steering arms
Baer 13" front brakes (Couldn't find time to make bracket for CBB)
550# Hypercoils with Landrum height adjusters

http://www.geocities.com/hrayhouston/

[This message has been edited by 68SSConvt (edited 06-07-2002).]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 02, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

The spray-on Dynamat is not as good as the stick-on kind either. I used the spray-on Dynamat on top on my package tray and the tray still vibrated at engine idle. I added some regular Dynamat to the underside of the tray and the vibration was cured -or at least the sound from the vibration went away.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 02, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks, guys for all the help. I've decided
to go with the Dynomat on the floor boards (I'll put a coat of POR-15 first).

I'll do the spray-in bedliner stuff in the trunk and inner fender wells.

thanks again,

grey899
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode