350 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 02, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johan

Hallo everybody.
I want a bit more power increase and a bit more torque.I dont want a BB.Witch is the way too go.Can I mix cranks and blocks?I know that I can buy everything new but....
Many thanks Johan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 02, 02:38 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

i really don't know much about them, but from what i've heard, building a 383(350 with a 400 crank) will probably give you what you want. if you do a search on this site, you find a lot of info about the stroked engine. i hear it's a very torquey engine.
i've also heard about the 377, which is a 400 block with a 350 crank. that engine is also a good setup.
good luck,
bruce

[This message has been edited by bruce69camaro (edited 06-07-2002).]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 02, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech

How much power do you have now? How much more do you want? If the engine is healthy right now, you can upgrade your existing engine with some quality parts and make lots of power without braking the bank.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 02, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johan

Thanks guys.It is not very god at the moment.I think it was 270 hpr from the begining but I think it is only 220 left.Does the 400 crank fit right in.
Today it was a sunny day.Went around with the roof down.Best too You all,Johan.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 02, 03:41 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Johan,
Like I said eariler, I can't tell you much about the 383, I'm a big block guy. But I'm looking at a kit for the 383 and for $650.00 you get the crank, speed pro pistons, crane cam, rings bearing, gaskets, oil pump, timing chain. It say's to use the 350, 5.7 rods. For that price, that is not bad and I have been considering building one of those engines. I'm not sure, but I did hear there was some block machining that needs to be done. What, I'm not sure??
But I can tell you, that a friend of mine had a 69 camaro with a 350 LT-1, 375 horse engine, and that thing ran hard. Have you ever thought about building your engine to those spec's ? I know that the compression is high, but they were a wild little engine with a solid lift cam, and they sound nasty.
Bruce

[This message has been edited by bruce69camaro (edited 06-08-2002).]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 02, 09:03 AM
Ren

I've done alot of looking into the 383 build since its what im planning for my '75, and I'll tell you this. A basic 383 setup with decent modern heads and a nice cam will get you 300+ hp EASY and tons of torque to go with it. If not going wild you dont need forged everything, you can get good cast steel crank/hyper piston setups from several suppliers. Your block MAY need a tad of clearancing for 5.7" rods, and will definitly need it for 6" rod setups. Its to clear the rod bolts... No major thing though, a few careful hours with a die grinder can do it. Other than that its pretty much the same as any other engine build. You'll want good 2.02/1.60 heads to help feed the larger displacement for sure.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 02, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech

Since you ask if the 400 crank is a direct replacement the answer is no. The main bearing journals are larger and have to be ground down to the size of your 350 block. If you buy a 383 stroker set this modification is already performed to the crank supplied in this set.

In my opinion it is best to rebuild the 350 engine you have now with some high performance parts, especially if it is the first engine you build. Another factor overlooked by many here is that parts in Sweden, and in entire Europe, are much more expensive than in the States. I think you can get close to 375 - 400 hp within reasonable cost with the 350 engine.

Further more it is important what kind of car you have, how is the cooling system, the fuel system, the transmission, rearend and even brakes. Because if you build a really strong engine some of these systems may not be strong or adequate enough. So tell us a little more about the car, and the engine you have now.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 02, 09:54 PM
Tech Team

I agree with Dutch, a 350 built right is all that you'll need on the street. All you need are the right heads, cam, intake, headers of course, decent 2 1/2" exhaust, and 750cfm carb with a 2500-3000rpm stall torque converter. But go with really good heads and really good rods and you'll be happy. For a cam (hydralic) go with 230 duration at .050 and .500 lift and you'll be happy.

But also don't overlook the other things like good brakes. When your revving out to 6500rpm in your new 350 your gonna want good brakes and a good suspension.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 02, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johan

Hallo Guys.
It is a -67 conv with an -71 350 with headers followed by 2,5" exhaust and a 650 spreadbore,the rest I dont know.A 350 gearbox,not that healthy.The brakes is in front willwood HD four pot caliper,in rear std drums.The suspension is std as far as I know execpt for adjustable Koni shocks.My goal is too have a 700 gearbox with lock up,poleruthan bushing all around,maybee around 400bhp.Things is more expensive here than over there.I dont want too make it a racecar,I alredy made that mistake ones,I want a nice summer car for me and my girlfriend.
Johan is signing out for now.This is a fantastic site.Thank You everybody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode