horns - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 02, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Does anyone offer a rebuild service for 69 horns,if not whats a fair price to pay for a pair of working horns. Thanks Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 02, 05:32 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

You may be able to buy a rebuild kit from Zip products. It is supposed to be a very difficult job. Try soaking in WD-40 before springing for a kit or new horns. They are date coded by the way if that makes any difference.

-Mark.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 02, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Stingr69
Thanks for the info, I did a search and read that the Zip rebuild kits dont work real well. Something to do with getting the 2 halves back together tight enough. I really don't care about the date codes as long as their the same as 69 Camaro. I'll try the WD 40. Thanks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 02, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Send a message via AIM to ChuckD Send a message via MSN to ChuckD
Hey Stingr,What can you tell me about the WD-40 trick on the horns? My '69 horns are original and silent...would like to save them. Thanks,

[This message has been edited by ChuckD (edited 06-10-2002).]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 02, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The WD-40 thing came from another car enthusiast I talked to a while back but I can't remember who. He said you can sometimes save them that way. I have a box full of old GM horns that need work. If I can get to them some day I will refurbish them. Originals are usualy shot by now.

-Mark.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 02, 02:22 AM
Senior Tech

I tried the rebuild kit from Zip for my two non-working horns. Once I got the first one apart you have to check the coil for continuity. Guess what, both horn coils were bad. So, I just bead blasted, reassembled, painted them and put them back on the car. I went to the local parts house and bought two new plastic replacement horns and mounted them in an inconspicuous location. I tapped into the horn wire and hooked up the new horns - they work great and I still have the appearance of stock horns.

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 02, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

drdave, that is an outstanding idea. Kind of like a hammer to the head. I threw away my originals and settled for thwe ugly plastic replacements. Why didn't I think of that?

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 6/10/02 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 02, 04:49 PM
Senior Tech
Dana

Camaro Hi-Performance (Jerry MacNiesh) will restore them to perfection mechanically and cosmetically. Not cheap ($120/ea. I think) but I just sent mine off to him. I will let you know how they turn out but I expect them to be perfect from what I hear about his other restorations.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302 & M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, AM/FM, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood.

2002 SS: 35th Anniversary coupe, 6 spd, all GM options plus additional SLP options: 345 hp package, floor and rear hatch mats.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 02, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Sounds kinda steep!

Let me know how they turn out.
Thanks Dave

[This message has been edited by Mr. C (edited 06-21-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode