VACUUM LINE HOOK UP - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 02, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello,
I am nearing the end of my engine swap and have a question on the vacuum lines. What should be connected and where. I have power brakes, and A th-350 transmission with an electrical detent switch. I noticed another vacuum hose that runs to the transmission as well, is this suppose to be hooked up. I have a 650 holley carb, I know the vaccuum advance from the distributer should run to the carb. I guess the question I have is I want to make sure I hook up the right lines, to the right places. I know an EGR? fitting to the valve cover was there on the old engine, do I need to hook another one up or just use breathers. I have two holes on one valve cover and one on the other. Sorry for all the questions, but want to get it right, before firing it up. It is a vortec 383 chevy. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 02, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech
John

you should probably hook your transmission's vacuum line, and your power brake booster line to a vacuum fitting on the intake manifold. Yes, distributer goes to carb.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 02, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech

TH350's don't have electrical detent switches..Are you sure it's not a TH400? TH350 has a cable detent and a modulator line

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 02, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yes your right it is a cable detent switch.It definately is the Th-350 What is a modulator line? Does it need to be connected to a vaccuum source? Also, what about the valve that connects to the valve cover EGR? Do I need to connect that or can I use a breather. I have three holes in the valve covers, two on one side and 1 on the other. thanks in advance
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 02, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

You will need to get the proper fitting for the intake manifold. The tranny vacuum line and the power brake booster will both connect to it.

Your car doesn't have an EGR valve, do you mean PCV valve? If so, there should be a large vacuum port somewhere on the baseplate of the carb. That is for the PCV valve. Run that line from the port to the PCV valve, which will fit on one of the holes in the valvecover.

On the opposite valve cover, you can install either a push in breather, or run a line to the bottom of the air clearner houseing. The latter is how GM did it. All of the parts are available from Camaro suppliers.
The third hole should be the oil fill hole.

There are differning opinions on where to hook up the vacuum advance line. There are two possible vacuum ports on the carb. One is a ported vacuum source and the other is an unported vacuum source. Try both and use the one that makes the car run the best.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 6/10/02 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 02, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech

gheatly
I just sent out my Victor jr intake to be coated..It does not have any manifold vacuum port...I was going to run my vacuum advance and my tranny from the manifold port on my edelbrock carb using a T fitting..Do you see a problem with this??? Or should I tap my manifold when I get it back??? really don't want to unless you see a problem..
Thanks

------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
-------------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 02, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

When you say manifold port on the back of the carb, do you mean the large vacuum port for the PCV valve? I think so, and what you are proposing should be fine.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 6/10/02 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 02, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech

gheatly
On my edelbrock I was planning on using the small manifold port in the front(I have 3 ports in the front a big one for the pcv valve, a small ported vacuum and another small vacuum port which is unported) I am planning on t'ing off the small unported vacuum port..Would that be OK??
Thanks again

------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 02, 05:05 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Badcaimen, Here is an old thread with a very good discussion of using a ported vs unported vacuum source for distributor advance. I would read it and see what fits your engine. Bottom line, try both and see which one works best with your combo.
https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum4/HTML/001671.html

That would be ok for the tranny, as it needs an unported/manifold vacuum source.

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 06-13-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode