Should I Buy This? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 02, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a '69 with the 327/210 smallblock, but i would want a big block after the restification. My plan was to put the smallblock in at first but it needs a rebuild. I would make some modifications but not to wild.

Yesterday a friend of mine told me he knew about an old bigblock for cheap that came out of a truck, but was originally from a car. He was told it was a 454 but after he went to look at it the numbers told him is was a 396, so he was not interested.

So today i went to take a look at it and this is what i found:

Engine block casting no: 3935440
Code on pad: T0513XH
Heads casting no: 3935401
Intake manifold: 3883948
Exhaust manifold (driver side): 3914613

The block has cast onto it above the oil filter boss "hi-perf" and "pass". The heads have "truck" cast into them.
Only one head was removed, wich revealed that the bores were not worn a lot (small ridge) and the pistons had a dome.

So far i have been able to find that the block was used for 1969, 396 cid, 350/375hp, 2 & 4 bolt engines. The heads seem to be 1967 to 1974, 427 cid truck heads. I could not find any other info on these heads.

I'm sure it would need a rebuild but i would like some info on these heads if they are suitable of making any decent power. I don't want to buy new heads for this engine since i plan on building a stout motor in the future with more cubes. So if these heads are practically useless i will build my smallblock and save up for another bigblock.

So what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 02, 12:37 PM
kel
Senior Tech

Depending on the cost, if the #440 block is a four bolt main I would get it.

I have the #440 four bolt main block and they will hold up very well to whatever you want to add to it.

I would ditch the heads though and find a set of oval ports, install bigger valves and an aftermarket intake. You can find oval ports at swapmeets for $100-$300.

I guess you need to aks yourself how much you want a big block. There are a lot of other parts needed to convert your camaro to a BB car. It does add up too. If you are looking at it strictly from a monetary stand point, you may want to just go with the sb. Also, if you are going for as much hp as possible down the road, look for a 454 or 502. The 396 will never be able to equal a 454 in hp all other things being equal.

My 2 cents!
Kel

------------------
North Texas Camaro Club

Is the glass half empty or half full???.....Neither, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 02, 12:48 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

If it's a 2 bolt main block don't let that stop you from buying the engine. The 2 bolt main Big Blocks are just as strong as a 4 bolt main Big Blocks. I.M.O.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 02, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok, but what kind of power would the engine make with these heads? Would it be a dog, or would i be able to get something like 350hp with the right cam?

I am considering this engine only because i was planning on using my old smallblock temporarily before i would have the funds for a real strong BB.

If i could get some decent performance from this BB for the same amount of money it would cost to rebuild my SB to approx. 350 hp, wich would require the purchase of some (iron) heads, then i would buy it.

I think i can get this BB running for the same money, but new heads would be out of the question.

[This message has been edited by Dutch69Camar (edited 06-13-2002).]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 02, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech

Dutch you can easily get 350 horse from this motor. The torque alone will keep you smiling.

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode