Making sure its done right..the first time. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 02, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok.. i was curious what way i should do this. If i were to have a chassis of a camaro(sheetmetal and all), without the motor and tranny in yet. Should i

a) mount the motor in first and tranny..then drive it to get painted, upholstered.

b)get it painted first and then have the motor mounted into the car and the tranny.

I know you shouldnt get the upholstrey done first because of the painting issues.. but what about the motor and stuff?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 02, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

oh also.. the reason im asking this, is because someone is interested in buying my camaro for 20k..

Now i was wondering how far would 20k get me with a camaro.. that is considering no money for labor, just parts..same with painting. I want to be able to get a custom interior done in it disc brakes all around..and the engine doesnt have to be a big one.. 327/350 prefered. Anyone have a ballpark figure of what this might cost me?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 02, 01:29 AM
Tech Team

The best way to do it is to do all of the body work including paint then install engine tranny then get int done BUT be very careful not to scratch when done correctly it will turn out like a true show ride.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 02, 03:42 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
To many ways to go; brake parts, engine parts, custom interior ect to say how far $20k will go... Usually the guy that does a custom interior does everthing else custom as well and at that $20k might not make it...

You'll get lots of opinions on the correct way to restore a car. That's all they are thought. My way of thinking is paint comes last! Build the car so it's solid with all the mods in place and things properly fittted. Of course some of the car willl need to come back apart for the paint but you know it fits right and will bolt back on. The worst thing in my mind would be to scratch or dent the car after it's painted trying to work on it...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 02, 04:00 AM
Tech Team

I did the frame first, then all of the brakes,ran all of the lines,rear end. then I painted the firewall. Dropped the motor and tranny. I got it running. got the interior prepped and ready for the paint shop. It is at the shop now. The told me it is better to have everything off of the car, glass, handles,locks. you get a better paint job that way. then after it is painted, glass back in handles,locks and interior. just my .02 worth!!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 02, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I did mine in this order
Body, except paint
Subframe
rear
Brakes
fuel
engine
exhaust
wiring
break in

still to go
paint (by July 1)
interior (redone and in the basement)
install chrome

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 02, 09:59 AM
Senior Tech

Paint DOES NOT come last! If you have 20K you can do a reasonalby nice job on a Camaro, but the PROPER way is to have the car painted dis-assembled. If people say "then you'll scratch it while putting the engine, int. etc in". That's BS! If you're good, that shouldn't be a concern. Put the car body together, make sure everything lines up properly, dis-assemble again, leave just the doors and deck on..paint everything in pieces, THEN do everything else.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 02, 10:28 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Thanks for the opinion panther.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 02, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech

Believe it or not, I didn't even read your posting,DJD. Didn't mean to contradict your opinion.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 02, 01:31 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Has nothing to do with you reading, agreeing or disagreeing

I'll elaborate on my point though! What happens when your car is painted, engine compartment and under carrage is pristine and you decide it's time to do the Baer brakes you bought. You install all new lines install the brakes and bleed them. Everything goes well and it's time for a test drive. You make several slow stops and the brakes feel great. You pick up some speed and put the brakes on and the pedal sinks almost to the floor! You get home and find brake fluid all over the drivers side inner fender and running down the complete driver side under carrage. What are the chances of you mopping up so well that the brake fluid doesn't do damage to some of the painted surfaces it comes in contact with?

I guess if you know what you are doing there won't be problems like that though! That's my opinion, I'm not gonna tell you "DON'T PAINT FIRST" but I'm suggesting to take care of the mechanicals first.

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 06-16-2002).]
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 02, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to tl757
I second DJD, I think the discision is really based on how good of a body worker are you. If you can put you shell together without scraches then go ahead and paint first, if you are like myself and most of us dont paint first. I did the engine and now im doing tranny and brakes. Painting last. Its just about how good you are and how clean you can be. Its cheaper for me to have to car running and drive it to the body shops then pay 60 bucks each way.
Just my thoughts
Tim
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 02, 02:33 PM
kel
Senior Tech

I am in the don't paint last camp as well.

I had powder coated suspension parts as well as my subframe that wound up with overspray all over it. This was the same reason I didn't put the engine in. I was afraid it would have overspray all over it.

I could see problems either way. I guess it all depends what you can do and the trust you have in the other people doing the other parts. I wound up having my car re-painted (long story), and the second guy I got to do it, did it as panther described. I get major compliments on my paint job and think it was money well spent.

I installed my engine while they had the front fenders off (after painting). Made for an easy install as well!

My 2 cents!

Kel
------------------
North Texas Camaro Club

Is the glass half empty or half full???.....Neither, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!

[This message has been edited by kel (edited 06-16-2002).]
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 02, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

I agree with DjD. Paint last, it's easier to touch up or deal with overspray problems than to have a nice new paint job and then paint the under body, trunk, engine comparment, etc. Most body shops with insurance work their bread and butter know how to deal with overspray issues, but are not perfect, My first camaro project, I painted last, and I removed all the chrome and masked off any areas myself before I turned in the car, when I got it back I just had to detail a few areas after I put the chrome back on...just my .02
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 02, 08:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I think you should at least paint the parts of the car that you can't get to while things are assembled before hand. Like all the inside edges of the fenders and doors and stuff. Of course there are a million ways to do it, but i think doing the final body paint LAST is the way to go, masking and taping everying like suspension and engine bays is not a hard thing to do. Wrenches and stuff (hopefully not entire engines) are always being dropped on fenders and hoods and banging stuff up. Body work always is easier on a car that is not totally painted.

------------------
1968 Coupe, 327/210hp project in process. PS/PB, Factory AC
Soon to be 327/275hp
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 12:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Just about to start a large rebuild, pro touring style. Had my paint & body guy (very respected here, from show cars to prestige) come over to sight car and give his thoughts on when he would like it. He wanted it after all mechanical items were attended to. Ready to go rolling and wired, no interior prefered.

Roger

------------------
Roger

68 SS RS Convertible
LS-1 6 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode