Jack or Jack Stands - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK guys, I'm looking for opinions. My 26 yr old son seems to think that you can use a $20 hydraulic jack to hold up his car and then do a brake job. I tried to tell me he's asking for trouble and should use jack stands or even cement blocks would be better than just the jack. But, being his father, I don't know anything and he won't listen.

So, I thought I'd post it here and print out all the replys for him.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Concrete blocks can crush and should not be used to support a car in any manner.

Hydraulic jacks are made to do only that, jack up the car. What if someone accidentally turned or knocked the jack handle? What if a seal lets loose? What if you push on the car and it starts to roll away or slide off the jack pad? Your appendages, and your life, are worth more than the $20 cost and the 2 minutes it takes to use jackstands.

Jackstands are made for a reason, to safely support the car.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech

If he thinks a floor jack is safe tell him to crawl under the car with just a floor jack holding it up. If he actually does it, kill him before he has a chance to breed.

Scott.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 10:17 AM
Jeff

Jack Stands are the only way to go!!!!!!

better safe than sorry unless he doesnt want any kids later on in life

------------------
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro/index.html
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 10:23 AM
Retired
Jim

Jackstands are only $20 a pair for good ones so what is his problem? Are you sure he is your son? just kidding but he must have bumped his head along the way. I use the stands even for changing oil, the jack lifts the car up but what if ..... so its easy to slide a stand under the frame. etc etc.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 11:12 AM
Senior Tech

I couldn't agree more on the use of jack stands. BUT I won't bet my life on a pair of 20 dollar Taiwan jack stands bought at the local swap meet or discount store. If the car does fall on you, it will only fall on you once.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech

I usually stick an extra jack stand underneath just in case it slips off the other 2.

A good friend of mine lost his Grandfather, a lifelong mechanic, to a car falling on him...You can never be to safe!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I had a jack let go on me once... Scared the crap out of me. Luckily I was working on a 4-wheel drive pickup with lots of ground clearence and only recieved a nasty bump on the head instead of being crushed. This was in my younger days when I thought I was invincible. I have since learned better.

Mark
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 11:29 AM
Tech Team

even Homer Simpson knows better than to only use a jack, he a least used a wicker basket . get the jackstands!!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

"MUST USE QUALITY JACK STANDS!!!!!!!"
Not those stamped 3 legged sheet metal ones either.
Just ask my best friend since high school. He has had two nine inch metal rods in his back (holding his spine together) for the last 17 years. His truck fell on him just after graduation and broke his back. He was using those old style 3 legged jack stands in the back and a bottle jack to hold up the front while he was doing a brake job, the jack stands legs spread out letting the truck fall over on top of him, the bottle jack's body cracked like a coconut at the same time according to the investigator.
He can't even lift up his kids to give them a hug.
Dumb move to use anthing else but the proper safety equipment.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

[This message has been edited by idoxlr8 (edited 06-17-2002).]
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech

A good friend of mine was under a little Chevy Vega up on cement blocks in his driveway. They spontaneously crushed for no particular reason and dropped the car on his chest. He was in great shape at the time and somehow managed to cross his arms over his chest before impact which helped to spread the load a little. The paramedics got him out after a few minutes and got him breathing again. He was already dead but they revived him. Is that a good enough example?

Try a bunch of good jack stands, throw the tires under there and block any tires left on the car. Whatever reason he has for being a knothead about this can't possibly be worth it of the car falls. If he can't take it seriously he should find another hobby.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 01:06 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Your counting on a tiny o-ring to keep the car jacked up. Pretty stupid really. Be safe and use the jack stands. Compredende?

Dave
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 03:40 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Go to the garage NOW and HIDE the jack!Lock it in your trunk if you have to.I would rather see a loved one pissed at me for a week or so rather than me regretting a bad decision for a lifetime.Tell him he can have the jack when he finds and learns how to use stands.

Why are you still reading this....GO NOW!

Steve
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 04:11 PM
Senior Tech

NOT EVEN DEBATABLE, JACK STANDS I think rocky mtn racer said it best when he said something to the effect of if you cant take this stuff seriously then take up another hobby. The minute you dont respect this hobby, it kills you. Whether its on the track or in the garage. NUFF SAID
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 02, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech

Here's another one to think about- the cylinder in a jack can slowly lose pressure and start creeping on you. That's exactly what happened to my buddy Rob while he was adjusting the ladder bars on his Chevelle. The jack lost a little pressure at a time until it finally gave way, nice and quiet, and pinned his thumb between it and the ladder bar mount. He screamed for about 10 minutes till his neighbor finally heard him and came over. It just about sliced his thumb off.
In my younger and dumber days I used to crawl under cars with only a jack all the time, till one fell sideways on me. The header flange just missed my neck and the trans almost took my head off- not fun. And cement blocks are a big no-no- when the first one lets go the other 3 follow within seconds...been there, done that!

------------------
68 Camaro 355", TH-400, 3.73 10 bolt, Rally rims.
69 Nova 355" TH-350, 4.88 12 bolt, 150 shot...click here to see it.
And a garage full of vintage bmx bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode