Cylinder Head change??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 02, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well will be doing my cylinder head(TRICK FLOW 23*) change soon and have a few question...

(1) who make the best head gasket for aluminum cylinder head??
(2) Anyone running trick flow 23* heads..What do you think of them???
(3) How difficult is it to check pushrod length to determine valvetrain geometry??
anyone know of a site that explains it..Or do the pushrod checkers come with instructions???
(4) Should all bolts be sealed???What type of sealant do I use??(Wouldn't that effect torque values) And do I use sealant anywhere on the head gasket itself around water passages???
(5) I read somewhere to use assembly lube or motor oil on the head bolts but wouldn't that effect the sealer as well as torque values??...
(6) Anyone know of a web site that has good instructions on a cylinder head change..There got to be one out there somewhere
Thanks again

------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
-------------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman
-------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 02, 12:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Review this http://www.2quicknovas.com/happyguides.html

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 02, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech

I used Felpro 1010 when I put mine together 8 years ago. It's a perma-torque-blue with a copper ring that won't indent the aluminum head. $34.95 ea. at Summit. Never retorqued and still going strong.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 02, 03:08 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Badcaiman:
Well will be doing my cylinder head(TRICK FLOW 23*) change soon and have a few question...

(1) who make the best head gasket for aluminum cylinder head??

I personally like the Victor Reinz Nitroseal gaskets. They are impreganted with graphite so they are easy on the aluminum, they are .045" thick, and MUCH cheaper than the Felpros.

(2) Anyone running trick flow 23* heads..What do you think of them???

good heads. See sig.

(3) How difficult is it to check pushrod length to determine valvetrain geometry??
anyone know of a site that explains it..Or do the pushrod checkers come with instructions???

Easy to check - no special tools are required. Just manually rotate the engine by hand and watch an intake and an exhaust rocker all the way through one full cycle. The rocker arm tip should stay near the center of the valve tip. If the rocker arm tip rides out toward the edge of the valve tip longer pushrods are usually needed (I've never seen an SBC need shorter pushrods to correct a valve geometry problem). I use stock length on my TFS heads.

(4) Should all bolts be sealed???What type of sealant do I use??(Wouldn't that effect torque values) And do I use sealant anywhere on the head gasket itself around water passages???

Use whatever sealer and torque spec is recommended by the head bolt manufacturer. ARP's come with good instructions and tell you what type of sealer to use. Don't use any sealer on composite head gaskets - only steel shim head gaskets use sealer.

(5) I read somewhere to use assembly lube or motor oil on the head bolts but wouldn't that effect the sealer as well as torque values??...

see #4

(6) Anyone know of a web site that has good instructions on a cylinder head change..There got to be one out there somewhere

Camaros.net

Thanks again

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
68 Camaro with 383 small block. ET - 11.9's at 112 mph and never trailered.

The combo:

10.3:1 KB pistons, Eagle cast crank, 5.7" SIR rods.
Trick Flow 23* heads ported 2.055 intake, 1.6 exhaust.
Comp Cams 282s mechanical cam with 1.6 rockers.
Victor Jr intake and Holley O-3310 carb.
1-3/4" Hedman Headers, full length Flowmaster exhaust.
TH350 trans, 3000 stall, 3.55 gear.
CE subframe connectors, drag shocks, SSM lift bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode