Whats left before the start? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 02, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to tl757
Okay guys here it is. I am now on my own because my mechanic retired right before the drivetrain was complete. The engine is jsut about ready to start but I got a few more things left and just want your input on what I should do to get it started?
Heres what I got so far:
350 in with TH350
Radiator in with hoses
Starter in
thermostat
distributor in and wired
pulleys' but not belt
all power sterring lines and pump
fan
fan shroud
heater hoses
alternator
engine wiring harness but not lamp harness
Thats pretty much it. What else is left? I dont want to drive it just start it up and hear the rumble for a minute thats all I want as a reward for the time and money over the last year and half of work.
Thanks for the help
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 02, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

better not start it for a minute. better break it in. Do a search, but basically, you should pump up the oil pressure with a tool, or and old distributor. Then run it for 20 minutes at 2500 RPM. Do a search for details.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 02, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
David

make sure you have installed the oil pressure sending unit or oil pressure line, whichever you are using, or you will have a shower of oil spraying straight up . that is, if you put oil in it . David

------------------
67 RS marina blue
SUPER T10 4 SPD
377, demon carb
91 formula 350 firebird (wifes car)
01 siverado 2500HD

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 02, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Do as the two postings listed recommend.

If you don't want to move the distributor, remove the plugs and spin with starter w/throttle at wide open position and fuel line disconnected from the fuel pump intake. However, it would be VERY advantagous to remove the distributor and prime the engine 1/2 hour before start-up. Then you can break-in the camshaft as suggested by Unreal, providing you followed 67 Freak's advice and added oil.

Don't forget coolant, water pump/alt belt, fresh battery, motor mount bolts, trans fluid, fire extinguisher (just in case), throttle return spring, make sure throttle doesn't overcenter and stick in WOT position, quick valve adjustment, fresh gasoline in tank, timing light to set timing, and be sure to plug in the coil wire.

Cold beverage to drink after cam break-in, then drain oil & filter and change both, refill.

Good luck....

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 02, 01:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I'm at about the same point, ready to fire it maybe tonight. I've read all the posts and think I'm ready but one thing I don't have yet - a fire extinguisher. Sounds like a good idea. Is there a particular type or place to get an adequate one?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 02, 02:10 AM
Senior Tech

Make sure all the bolts are tight. That may sound stupid, but better to do a double check now instead of finding out when something comes loose while running. I know that in my haste to get motors running I've sometimes forgotten to go back and tighten something. Hate to admit it, but more than once.
If you have one, a big house fan to cool the radiator is really nice to have.
A big old piece of clean cardboard under the engine and tranny will help you spot any leaks you may have in a hurry.
Before you fire it up, "police" your engine bay- make sure there aren't any tools lying around that could find their way into the fan.
Good luck with it- it's always cool to hear it come alive for the first time.

------------------
68 Camaro 355", TH-400, 3.73 10 bolt, Rally rims.
69 Nova 355" TH-350, 4.88 12 bolt, 150 shot...click here to see it.
And a garage full of vintage bmx bikes.

[This message has been edited by pete b (edited 06-19-2002).]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 02, 02:12 AM
Senior Tech

Tim- are your tranny cooler lines hooked up?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 02, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garden hose is handy as well.

Look the car over very carefully while the engine is running. I found a dangerous fuel line leak at the back of the car at startup. Only reason I saw it was because I walked around looking underneath the car as the cam was breaking in. I did not want to do it but of course, I did shut it down for that.

Good luck!

-Mark.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 02, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to tl757
Well thanks for all the advice. I have a few things to add, my tranny lines are not hooked up and I have primed the engine we did it before the distributor went in. It needs two more quarts of oil and thats is. I do need the oil pressure line ro switch. Which is better? Can i do either?
Thanks
Tim
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 02, 01:07 PM
Team Member
John

Check the hex sizes of all the fuel line fittings from the pump to the carb, and have those wrenches already laid out; once it starts, you don't want to have to hunt around for the right size wrench to stop a fuel leak, and you don't want to shut it down prematurely. Have a helper handy, and rehearse exactly what you're going to do - you can't do everything yourself. Have a box fan handy on a chair in front of the grille in case you need it for additional cooling - again, to avoid a premature shutdown before the cam break-in is done.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 02, 03:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Don't forget to have your timing light out to adjust the timing, hand tools handy to tighten hos clamps,and adjust carb, turn on the heater to make sure the heater coil is full and recheck radiator recheck all fluids while breaking in the cam, If you are afraid of fire do this in the driveway, better to have a car fire than a house and car fire...Winch, try a ABC rated 5 or 10 lb extingusher you should be able to get one at any home improvement center. CO2 if possible Dry chemical will make a mess....Crank her up!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode