Bone yard in San Jose, Ca. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 02, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Has anyone been to GM Sports Salvage inc. in San Jose Ca? They claim to have a large selection of 60's GM cars in the yard, Is it worth my time to drive (1 hour) and check them out, or will I be wasting my time? thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 02, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I have talked to a guy that said it was a good place. I have never dealt with them but I may head out there some day. I will need to be in the area on business.

-Mark.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 02, 05:03 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Here's their web site. They have a good turn around of cars. The first gens setting out get picked to the bone fast but they have a lot of parts inside on shelves. They are good folks to do business with. If you are just an hr away it would be worth the drive to check the place out. They are in the process of taking the salvage business to a new level (IMO) they are using the web and keeping their site updated as well as listing on ebay. I think it's a good way for them to go!!

www.gmsports.com

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 06-21-2002).]

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 02, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Thanks guys, I'll check it out. I love walking thru old boneyards. Maybe I'll find a hi-note horn for my 69...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 02, 06:50 AM
Senior Tech

Dennis-

Any idea on how there prices are. I am looking for a 8.5" 10 bolt out of a nova to do a rear end swap. Don't want to pay outrageous prices. I keep hearing about people getting a complete rear end for $50 or so, and ten a posi out of a z28 or T/A for like $15 more. When I priced the rearend at a yard, they wanted $200 just for the housing. Anyone else have an idea where I could score these parts in the SF Bay Area?

Thanks

Dan

------------------
67 Pro-touring Camaro-327, 9:1, Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers, 700R4 trans, 17" Amer. Racing TT2's, 12" disc brakes, custom stereo, black with white stripes, cowl ind. hood.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 02, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech

Hey i am not form the bay area but i got my 8.5 10 bolt for 40 bucks, then had to pay 85 for my posi, it was a series 2 carrier so i had to buy a spacer to space the ring gear properly to run the 3.90's i have, keep hunting go to a unnasumming bine yard were people don't know what interchanges, goodluck
Jake

------------------
1968 Camaro convertible, 454,th400,3500 stall,8.5 10 bolt,3.90 gears
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 02, 03:58 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I'd say give them a call Dan!! The number is listed on their site. When I hear about $50 rearends, I think it's a rare deal where someone had it setting on the side of their house for years and is getting rid of it as it's a big piece junk to them and they are just cleaning house! Anyone in business is going to be asking market value and in more populated areas the market value is going to be higher than in a small town. I would think $200 is a fair price and some place like Rearend Specialties could go through it for you (it you don't want to do it yourself) for $200 - $300 and it would be like brand new. You might even call them and see what they have laying around (408 988-3619)...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 02, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech

Thanks Dennis,

When I priced mine out, it was $200 for a used high mile rear end. No rebuild, nothing. I would have no problem paying 2-300 for a build rear. I will give them a call and see how much they want. Maybe I will run down there and see what they have laying around.

Dan

------------------
67 Pro-touring Camaro-327, 9:1, Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers, 700R4 trans, 17" Amer. Racing TT2's, 12" disc brakes, custom stereo, black with white stripes, cowl ind. hood.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 02, 03:11 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
To put all this in perspective, a rebult 12 bolt will set you back more than a grand. If you can walk away with an 8.5" 10 bolt rebuilt for $500 or under that's a deal. It might sound high but everythings going up and you are talking about a major component of the drive train. I'm sure there are other old chevy rear ends out there to be had for less but I think it's getting to be like finding a 4 leaf clover... If GM Sport doesn't have something start checking out the swapmeets. Goodguys will be here in no time and there's always Turlock and Sac...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode