Throttle problem - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 02, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
CC
Tech Team

I recently bought a 67 camaro with a non original 350 engine and 350 tranny. I have a holley carb with vacuum seondaries. The problem I have is that when I press my pedal to the floor the primary flaps on the carb only open maybe 75-80%. I have a solid linkage (non cable) connecting the rod from the pedal linkage in the engine compartment to the carb linkage. There is no slack or play there. It appears that my pedal sits pretty low to the floor to start with so I'm not getting enough throw to open the carb up 100%. How would you guys recommend I fix it? I can pull the pedal up away from the floor pretty far but it will drop back down when I let go. Maybe the bushing or assembly is worn? Maybe I should buy another pedal assembly? I noticed that the pedal assembly is bolted to the firewall with 2 screws screwed in from the engine compartment side. It's going to be hell trying to get to those 2 bolts off as they are behind the engine. But if that's my only option. I also thought about maybe trying to bend the pedal assembly up a little so I have more clearance from the floor. Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch!

[This message has been edited by CC (edited 06-26-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 02, 05:33 PM
Retired
Jim

My 69 had similar issue, the firewall plastic sleeve for the throttle rod was cracked. I had to fit the right size socket onto a small vice grips and reach down with that to turn the screws off, one notch at a time, very bad position but can be done. Yes you might check the pedal bracket as well, and while at it, replace them both and dont worry about bending parts to make them work. Thats my 2cents worth. good luck
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,Close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 02, 05:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

If the above doesn't cure it, make sure the rod isn't too long. Shortening it up (if it's adjustable) or putting a shorter one on there would cure the problem.

Jody

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 02, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
Is the rod an adjustable type? I had the same problem, the pedal would only open the throttle about 80%.

Two things were causing the problem.

The motor was tilted to passenger side by about an inch due to mis-matched motor mounts. Once the correct mounts were installed I had more room between the valve cover and linkage that comes from the pedal.

The second piece of the problem was the rod was not adjusted properly.

I would look into an adjustable rod.

-Funk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 02, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
CC
Tech Team

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. In frustration figuring I would have to replace the assembly I ended up grabbing the pedal by hand and pulled upward. I thought that I would end up breaking the assembly but it actually bent up just like I needed to. Thanks again everyone!

[This message has been edited by CC (edited 06-26-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode