Roll Bar installation ?????? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 02, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Has anyone installed a simple 4 point roll bar in their 1rst generation Camaro. I have been working on a 1968 SS camaro strictly for a pro-street look. I have a brand from several companies called Autopower Roll bars. They claim it bolts right in without interfering with the back seat or side quarter panel. It is really, in my opinion, designed more for looks than stability but they say it is of good quality. Just wanted some opinions and advice if someone has installed any similar product. Thanks....

------------------
1968 Camaro, 383 Stroker, 450hp @5400rpm, 3.73 10-bolt
Lots of body and interior work to do now and it's all
new to me, lots of advice to ask for, thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 02, 04:58 PM
Tech Team

Most people install a roll cage for safty not looks. The car alone is enough looks, but whatever.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 02, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Sounds like the Hooker roll bar that used to bolt in.

They bolted in at the floorboard, two longs bolts through the rocker panel, and two short bolts through the floor board. Of course one will have to place a 6X6X1/8 inch thick steel plate under the car for reinforcement.

The rear bars bolted to the rear deck, thus avoiding the seats and 1/4 panels.

Mainly for show, the only added protection was the main hoop.

If you have the money and time, get a real 6-point bar and weld it in, your body (car that is) will love you for it, plus it will be legal at the track for tech inspection.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 02, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

67chevy, you may have interpreted the question wrong. I stated that the product looked, in my opinion, that is was designed for looks and not so much for true saftey. I did not want the impression that I was wanting a bar for looks. At the price that they were quoting, I wanted to know if anyone had utilized this bar and if my impression was wrong. From what I have read in some post there are plenty of people that put the bars in for looks. Especially if they have strictly a stock performing car. I assume that is why they created this particular product. I believe Everett backed up what I thought, the bar is for looks. I want to get a bar for saftey because I am over 480 hp and thought it would be the safe thing to do. Just trying to figure out which bar (4p, 6p....) to get.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 02, 05:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I am not trying to talk anybody out of a roll bar or roll cage; they can definitely save your life.

What you may not know is that none of the specialty car insurance companies that I could find (Hagerty, Grundy, etc.)will insure your car if one is installed. If I were to put one in my car (which needs it in my opinion) and had an accident, they would not cover it. I'm with Grundy. Now the standard companies like State Farm and Allstate probably will cover them, but they don't have agreed value insurance and I have too much money in my car to take a chance with a stated value policy.

If any of you guys know a company who offers AGREED value policies (not stated value) and allows roll bars and/or a roll cage, please let me know.

Anything that I would put in my car would have to be functional and be as easy as possible to get around. I'm sure it would be a custom one, to hug the contours of the car as tight as physically possible and leave as much room for people as is possible.

Jody

------------------
http://www.camcojb.com/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 02, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

I put the 4 point roll bar in my car back when I was 18. It looked cool then, I am still satisfied with it today.

It installed in about a day. Not very difficult. The back seat and tray panel came out. I believe we had to use an air hammer to open up the rear package tray. Just as mentioned before, it used 2 (maybe 4) bolts just inside the door, and the same setup in the trunk.

I got mine from Summit, I think they sell the same thing that I bought 10 years ago.

[This message has been edited by Brad74 (edited 08-10-2002).]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 02, 02:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Thanks for the heads up, Jody. Pretty sad that we have to compromise safety for insurance coverage.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 02, 03:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I agree Rick. I'm going to keep looking though.

Jody

------------------
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 02, 06:00 AM
Apprentice
Frank

the autopower roll bars are mainly for scca rules, although they do make a 6 point drag bar for mustangs only. I believe scca actually preffers roll bars be bolted in, in street car applications, and only require 4 point with a diagonal brace from the corner of the main hoop above the driver's head to the floor mounting point on the passenger side. I may be wrong but that's what i remember. their bars can be welded in if prefferred. I was looking into these for my 68 conv, but they don't have a conv application for the camaro. and bolt in would be nice just to use for racing and taken out for cruising. I don't particularly like the look of most rollbars in a convertible. Now if i had a coupe, I'd have a full cage that was tied into the front subframe to stiffen everything up.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 02, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech

Jody,

I have farmers with an agreed value policy. I would be shocked if they wouldn't cover the car. I have the value set fairly conservatively, and the policy is about 68 bucks a monthes. Might want to look into it.

Dan

------------------
67 Pro-touring Camaro-327, 9:1, Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers, 700R4 trans, 17" Amer. Racing TT2's, 12" disc brakes, custom stereo, black with white stripes, cowl ind. hood.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 02, 06:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Dan,

Farmers doesn't offer an agreed value policy. They have a stated value policy. You do "agree" on a value, maybe use an appraisal, and set the rates according to that value. You are NOT guaranteed that amount in a total loss however; that's just the most they will pay. They can try to depreciate the car, look for comparables, etc. I can't put myself in that position with this particular car.

The two types are similar but not the same. If you want to know for sure, ask your agent if you're guaranteed that amount in the event of a total loss. Farmers, State Farm, Allstate, AAA, etc. all offer stated value only. That's how the specialized companies like Hagerty and Grundy came to be.

Jody

------------------
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 02, 01:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I have my 68 RS convertible with State Farm. It's insured as a classic which limits me to like 2500 miles a year. I asked whether it was an agreed value or stated and the local agent didn't know what I was talking about. I assume it's stated value. Currently I only have it stated at 7000 and it only costs like $36 for 6 months. I just dumped 5k into the drive train and I want to up it to 12000 stated. Before they just took pics now they want an independent appraisal which I'm going to wait on until I've finished the body work and paint this winter and I think it should appraise for about 18k.
I too would like a removable roll bar to satisfy the drag strip but not if it will kill my good insurance rate. Of course I'd probably lose that if they find out I'm taking it to the strip (which I haven't yet). But hey, that 2500 miles a year can be 1/4 at a time can't it?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 05, 06:30 PM
Tech Team

Unhappy Re: Roll Bar installation ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camcojb
What you may not know is that none of the specialty car insurance companies that I could find (Hagerty, Grundy, etc.)will insure your car if one is installed. If I were to put one in my car (which needs it in my opinion) and had an accident, they would not cover it. I'm with Grundy. Now the standard companies like State Farm and Allstate probably will cover them, but they don't have agreed value insurance and I have too much money in my car to take a chance with a stated value policy.

If any of you guys know a company who offers AGREED value policies (not stated value) and allows roll bars and/or a roll cage, please let me know.
Wondering the same thing. Anyone know who will write a collector policy on a car with a roll bar?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 14, 10:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Re: Roll Bar installation ??????

Looks like they might have something that would allow for a roll cage now.

http://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Motorsports-Insurance

Mark

Follow my build here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode