K & N Filter make a difference - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 02, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Will a K & N air filter out perform a clean paper filter? I am thinking about putting one on my 350 (300HP). Or will I be wasting my $? thx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 02, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
I can't really say that it's going to knock your socks off, but I felt a small difference. The biggest perk (in my opinion) is that it's completely re-useable and cleanable. You shouldn't ever have to buy another air filter again!

I don't have one of the air filter tops, but from what I hear, the same can be said about them.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 02, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Mike H

yes, it will make a difference. This is one of the least expensive ways to get horsepower. Could be anywhere from 5-10 hp.
It made a difference for me!

------------------
My '69 Conv. Website
or
FotoTime Pictures

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 02, 08:24 AM
Retired
Jim

Agreed that that type of filter lets more air through the system yet filters smaller microns too. Amsoil also makes a super reusable air filter. That along with engine oil and gear oil will get you much more HP.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,Close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 02, 10:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
If I'm not mistaken, some mag just did a review of filters and found neglible differences between the K & N and paper filters.

It can save you money in the long run as long as you clean it as directed. Can anyone else help out with the magazine article?

------------------
68 Camaro ragtop, original 327, angle plug Camel humps, 202's, Performer, Holley 650 double pumper, Doug Thorley headers, 3-speed Saginaw, 3.08 posi, subframe connectors, Addco sway bar

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/cjkaram/
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 02, 11:17 AM
Tech Team

I put one on my pick-up and got 10% better mileage. It will now actually pull in OD @ 40 MPH where before it seemed like you'd have to get out and push to get it going. Anything that improves mileage demonstrates improved engine efficiency therefore more HP. Plus, as stated, you save on buying filters and with my mileage improvement it has already paid for itself and saves me over $100 yearly.

------------------
Steve
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 02, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zuma1211:
Will a K & N air filter out perform a clean paper filter? I am thinking about putting one on my 350 (300HP). Or will I be wasting my $? thx... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The power improvement will depend on the engine size and element size. For example, my F*** F150 5.0 liter sucks through a 6 X 8" element. I definately noticed an improvement. However, I know others with small engines or large elements, that didn't notice an improvement.

-dnult
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 02, 04:15 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Hot Rod did the tests. No difference on the flow bench, no difference on the dyno. Maybe if you replaced a dirty paper element with a K&N you would notice a diff. But if you compare a clean paper element to a K&N I seriously doubt there is much if any difference at all.

They sure look cool though!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 02, 06:42 AM
Team Member
John

Depends on how restrictive the existing intake system is - K&N's are part of the ACR (American Club Racer) option on the Viper, along with smooth instead of convoluted hoses from the air cleaners to the throttle bodies, and our tests show that combination adds 14hp (but we only advertise 10).

It should also be noted that K&N's DO NOT meet OEM filtration requirements (the SAE test procedures) - we released them as part of the ACR package to satisfy customer requests for max power.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 02, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I look at this way. I drive my 67 Camaro daily. I really do mean daily about 15,000 mile per year. I have an open element filter, and was using paper filters. When they get wet and/or dirty I could really notice a performance loss and mileage would be affected. I put on a K&N and the differance in performance was not noticable. Where the differance was noticable was it never seemed to get clogged up. I clean my engine about 1 or 2 times a month and with paper filters and trying not to get them wet they did not last long. With the K&N I clean the filter about every 3 months and still clean the engine 1 or 2 times a month. I replaced paper filters about every 2 or 3 months depending on how the car was running. In one year the filter pays for it's self, looks better and is saving money in fuel cost. All around gains in my opionion. It also seems to let the car run a little better in hot weather, don't know what this means, maybe a little less air restriction???

[This message has been edited by Joe Harrison (edited 06-30-2002).]
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 02, 05:58 AM
SSuperman

I bought the Xtream filter for my Camaro....$100.....More carb noise but no difference for me
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 02, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

JohnZ, I bet most, if not all, of your power increase is from the hoses

Don't get me wrong, I really like the K&N filters; they look awesome and hold up very well. BUT I am not convinced that they add ANY power.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 02, 04:59 AM
Tech Team

My engine dyno'd 7 more horsepower with the K&N than with the regular filter. I have the Filter top style with a 4" height. I also saw the article and it was in either Hot Rod or Chevy High Performance magazine. I have to look for the issue but the article I read compared K&N filters against each other. The article was about HP gain or loss with filters of diffrent size heights and stlyes, not brands. When comparing the low mounted filter compared to the top of the line high filter with the filter top, there was less than 1 HP gain. Although I paid Summit about $100 dollars more for the "New" tall filter top than I would have for the normal size. This was before I read the article. But it looks great so what the....

------------------
1968 Camaro, 383 Stroker, 450hp @5400rpm, 3.73 10-bolt
Lots of body and interior work to do now and it's all
new to me, lots of advice to ask for, thanks in advance
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 02, 05:08 AM
Tech Team

A few things regarding filters...

Hot Rod Magazine received a letter from K&N stating their test had some scientific problems in regards to their research method. K&N and Hot Rod are suppossed to follow up with the details soon (check the little print on page 16 of August 2002 issue)

K&N, along with several other aftermarket filters, are fire retardent! I saw a buddies Rustang backfire through the carb, catch the paper air cleaner element on fire and melt his fiberglass hood!!

As others have stated, it will probably be the last filter you ever buy!

------------------
Mike Steinkamp
69 Camaro w/ 383 Edelbrock RPM System (including heads),
Nitrous, 350 Turbo, 3:42 gears
12.83 on motor, 11.91 with 125 hp shot of nitrous
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 02, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech

How do you clean a K&N filter ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode