Front Windshield - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 02, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a very important question to ask the team about a front windsheild on my '68 SS Camaro. I do alot of reading through the magazines such as Car Craft and Chevy Performance. There is a vehicle represented in the magazines that I am sure everyone at one time or another has seen. It is a '68 Camaro, orange and sits fairly low. It was in the December issue of Chevy High Performance and has also been seen in several adds. I bring this car up because from what I see, the trim around the front windshield is not original. It looks as though it is a Gasket type molding that circles around the shield instead of the chrome trim. The add only states that he remove the drip rails off the sides (by the way also gives it a slick sweet look) and had the font windsheild mounted flush with the body. Before I go as far as trying to contact the magazine I wanted too see if anyone here has seen this, heard of this or knows of this being accomplished. It really looks sweet and I am days away from having my windsheild installed. The only chrome I was originally going to have installed was around the front and rear shield, but if this is an alternative I would like to pursue it. Any help, numbers, names or suggestions would be highly appreciative. Thanks....

------------------
1968 Camaro, 383 Stroker, 450hp @5400rpm, 3.73 10-bolt
Lots of body and interior work to do now and it's all
new to me, lots of advice to ask for, thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 02, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech

Flush-mounting the glass is common in the street rod world.I would suggest you talk to a local rod builder or check out street rod magazines/web sites.

------------------
HDZ/28
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 02, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Check this link for some good info: https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum3/HTML/002517.html

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice Wagon
'99 Venture Van

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 02, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Bret, thanks for the reply. Yes, that is the exact Camaro. Amazing the information on this website. It seems like an easy process with the right gasket material except for the bottom of the glass. One part in the forum states an owner utilized the trim gasket material used on the glass from the side of an Aerostar van and it simply slid into the gap. This is very do-able and an easy thing to atleast try once the glass is in but the bottom is still puzzling. My hoood isn't custom so it doesn't go all the way to the windshield to hide anything. I also wonder if I simply form feed it across the bottom if that would look ok or homemade. I do not want to have to accomplish any custom body work in that area.......... Thanks for the reply, good article.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode