smoke, loss of horses....... what the...... - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 02, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

i have a 84 camaro, with a newly rebuilt motor in it and it has a over heating problem, i would be running about 2500 rpm and it will slowly climb on a pretty humid day, nothing to bad but it will climb, and i just changed the thermostat, but when iam toolin through town at about 1500 it seems fine. runs at about 210. i have a 195 therm in it. my first question is why is this happening? is it still not opening up even tho it is brand new? and my second question is what is the max temp on a small block before it starts blowin stuff? becuase now it smokes like crazy, blue smoke, and i have a hudge loss of power. did i blow a head gasket? please tell me the good news first. lol. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 02, 03:31 PM
Senior Tech

The good news is you can fix anything.

The bad news is it sounds like you broke a ring or have a ring seal problem.
It could be many things (none good). Blue smoke is oil. White smoke is actually steam (headgasket failure, cracked heads).

re: temp - I'd say when you get over 240 things are not looking too good. They go downhill quickly.

Sounds like you have multiple problems.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 02, 04:55 PM
David Pozzi

I'd say the intake manifold gasket is sucking oil and air in.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 02, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech

Daves probably right. I tend to be a pessimist, pulling/rebuilding the engine cause the plugs were fouled.

A messed up intake gasket will allow you to burn and leak oil, lose water, and have a massive vacuum leak (poor power) on top of all that.

I won't ask who rebuilt the engine, cause they're the ones that'll need to troubleshoot it. This could mean "you".
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

i plead the 5th...... ok i did it. i rebuilt it. and after i rebuilt it i changed the intake so that quiet possibly could be it... now that's were the smokeing problem comes from right? ok now about the overheating... how can i fix my overheating problem? should i run it whith no thermostat at all? or is that kinda rednecky?lol.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech

210 may not be that bad for a 195 thermostat. I depends on where your temperature sensor is. It also isn't uncommon for a new motor to run a bit hot. Water boils at 212 and a pressurized cooling system with coolant boils higher than that (don't know for sure what the boiling point is). I'd postpone that worry for later.

Sounds like you've got some good troublshooting hints for the cooling system. One more over-heat item on a new motor is a failed cam. Read the plugs and see which cylinder(s) are oily. Check the intake gaskets as suggested around those ports and make sure you don't have a worn cam lobe.

-dnult
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

well i replaced the cam with a larger cam, could it be possible that i already worn the lobes, becuase i do believe some of the plugs are oily, and what does a oily plug mean agian? bare with, iam new at the car stuff. lol. but slowly learning. thanks agian everyone!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 02, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1984z28:
what does a oily plug mean agian? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oily plugs simply means it's burning oil. Most likely from a bad gasket seal somewhere as others have suggested. As for cams, some tend to be a bit soft and must be rev'd to 2000+ RPMs for 15 minutes or so to machine the tappet and cam lobe surfaces. If the cam went south, there are many things that could happen and burning oil is only one. Its a good thing to check the cam on a fresh motor since early failure is common. Drain the oil and look for chunks of metal for starters. As you're pulling the intake to inspect the gaskets, you can then get a look at the tappets (lifters). Be sure to keep them in the proper bore though since they mate with their respective lobe. Worn lifters will be gouged and the lifter face will be cupped instead of flat and smooth. If the intake gaskets and valve train look good, then you're on to the next step - pulling the heads.

-dnult
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode