Changing Oil - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

OK, I am an idiot when it comes to any classic muscle car. I can't seem to figure out how to change the oil in my car and where to put the motor oil. I have a 1969 Camaro SS. My brother just bought this car a week ago and right now he is on vacation so I have no way of contacting him and asking him if he knows how to do it. I checked the manual thoroughly and to my surprise, it doesn't tell me how to do it.

Someone PLEASE help me out! I would greatly appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 09:36 AM
Tech Team

there should be a plug on the bottom of the oil pan (bottom of the engine) you unscrew that and let the oil drain out into a pan bucket etc.. (have it under there to begin with cause the oil comes out fast) then just let it drain until it stops dripping. unscrew the oil filter and take it down to the nearest autozone and ask for another and i believe for a 350 with oil filter removed the engine takes 5 quarts of oil, 4 if the filter is not removed.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

you need to put some oil on top of the filter before installing it (the box should come with instructions for this). then put the plug back, put the new filter on and pour the oil in. you put the new oil into the valve cover most have some sort of breather plug that you remove.

you can put the old oil into the empty container and most autozones will dispose of it for you no charge.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
Welcome to the site Mike. 67camarolover's instructions are pretty good. I can't really think of anything to add to his explanation. HOWEVER. . . If you want a very DETAILED step-by-step guide on how to change your oil, please visit this link below. There are 2 sets of instructions.

https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum2/HTML/001610.html

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

My apologies, I didn't mean exactly to change the oil, as I checked the dipstick, and it looked like there wasnt alot in there. Though, again I am not familiar with the old Camero, I'm not even sure my brother knows. I just need to know where to add the oil itself.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Also, this is a custom 396 engine. Is the place where you put the oil right next to the oild dipstick? on the valve cover itself, becuase there is a crome cap looking thing, that is on the cover, above the manifold (at least I THINK it is).
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 10:18 AM
Tech Team

yes the crome cap comes off and the oil goes in.

......does your brother know you are driving his 396 supersport? i'd shoot my brother if he went out in mine without my permission.

careful how you spell "camaro" you will be removed from this website, no questions asked if you spell it wrong
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

By The Way, when he said to put Oil "on the top" of the filter, he meant to rub Oil on the rubber ring, (Where the filter screws onto the filter stud-male end, block side). If we are to be as helpful to the new guy as we should be, we must also be as specific as possible. The spelling thang I can't help you with!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Don't know if I would be mess'in around with my brother's SS either while he is away. Could mean certain death if something, like the motor gets jazzed up because let's say you don't tighten the oil plug and the oil drains out while you happen to be driving it. IMO wait till he comes home and have him show you how to do it right.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 12:29 PM
Senior Tech

For $10-$15, have a shop do it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 12:29 PM
Senior Tech

Put some oil into the new filter before you screw it in. This will provide some oil to the engine when it is first started. No need to run the engine dry until the new filter is filled up.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 12:38 PM
Retired
Jim

Dont forget the beer

click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,Close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 02, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by camaromike:
Also, this is a custom 396 engine. Is the place where you put the oil right next to the oild dipstick? on the valve cover itself, becuase there is a crome cap looking thing, that is on the cover, above the manifold (at least I THINK it is).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beware that many motors with fancy chrome valve covers may not have the classic large opening for filling the crankcase with oil. Mine is one of those. I have to pull the breather out of the valve cover and put a funnel in the hole to fill it.

-dnult
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 02, 03:41 AM
Ren

Have you ever changed oil on any car before? If not, just pay a shop a few $ to do it. Oil changes arent rocket science, and if you cant figure it out might want to let an experienced person do it...

------------------
2000 Z28 M6
Intake, Exhaust, little stuff...

'75 Type LT
Slowly but Surely
Learning as I go...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 02, 05:56 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by camaromike:
My apologies, I didn't mean exactly to change the oil, as I checked the dipstick, and it looked like there wasnt alot in there. Though, again I am not familiar with the old Camero, I'm not even sure my brother knows. I just need to know where to add the oil itself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's not changing the oil guys!!!

Mark - It sounds like you have very little automotive experience. The guys here are just trying to say someone else's classic isn't the best choice to learn on without the owner present. Can we assume your brother has intrusted you to look after his new Camaro? It might be best to wait until he returns from VT before running the engine or even adding oil. Do you even know what oil to use? The dip stick should be marked to show where full is. It should also have an add 1 QT mark on it. Where on the stick is the oil?

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 02, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for all the help! I now have my oil changed, gas in the car, and lot, and lots of beer! By the way, my brother is back from his vacation and he told me I could service the car if I wanted to. It's really both our cars, but more his than mine. Unfortunately, neither of us really don't know much about camaros. We are learning though! We do have a few neighbors that have very little knowledge about camaros that try to help us. They do work a lot though and are not always there.

Again, thanks everyone for the tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode