Electric fan - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 02, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey guys,

I'm strongly considering installing an electric fan in my 67. I've read all of the topics about the Lincoln Mark VIII fans, but I have some questions that I didn't find answers for. Where can I get one of these fans? What years Lincoln Mark VIII's (to go junkyard scrounging)? Does anyone have a part number for the fan? What are the dimensions? Does anyone have any pictures of an installed fan? Does it work well to be the primary cooling fan?

Also, would a 4th gen dual fan/shroud unit be easily adaptable, and would it work as well as the Lincoln fan?

Thanks

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]
The Club - GM Muscle Cars of the Carolinas

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone - 350/TH-350 with shift kit, CompCams XE268H, Dynomax Jet-Hot headers, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Vintage Air

-2002 Impala LS - Medium Bronzemist Metallic, every option except engine block heater

<A HREF="http://www.furman.edu/~jtrauner" TARGET=_blank>Click here to see my Camaro and my parents' 2002 Impala LS.
</A>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 02, 01:54 AM
Senior Tech

Justin....the Mark VIII fan is an excellent fan and are available at HOuston ( Performance http://www.houstonperformance.com ) and even tho they do not have them up on the web, you can call them for more info.

I will tell you that it's my experience that these fans do not fit as well as other choices on wide crossflows that you have on Camaros. I suggest that you take a hard look at the twin Spal set or the Windstar fan unit from Ford. I do not know the years of the MarkV or Winstars. The twin Spals are a great performing and will be adequate.

Check out http://hometown.aol.com/jnkb2cool/fans.html for more Windstar info and pictures.

If you check out www.streetrod.stuff you will find out that they sell Spal fans and PRC radiators.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets

Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm

[This message has been edited by HOTRODSRJ (edited 07-04-2002).]
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 02, 06:15 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Search my username here and www.chevelles.com I posted the dimentions recently. '99 models are what I have. http://www.geocities.com/lonnie67_1966/blueng.html bottom pic.

------------------
67 Camaro, strip/street 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro, daily driver 388 12.07 @112
website

[This message has been edited by Lonnie67 (edited 07-04-2002).]

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 02, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech

Check out Ron Davis Radiators at http://www.rondavisradiators.com. They have their own fans with high cmf and low amp draw. I just purchased one of their radiators with a dual 14" fan setup and aluminum shroud, nice stuff!

------------------
Joseph

1969 Camaro
Engine and Exhaust:
404 SB w/ 10.3:1 Eagle 4140 assembly in Dart Little-M block, AFR 210's, Crower #00350 short track solid cam 238/244 @ .050" on a 107 lobe center and .530" lift w/ 1.6 rockers, Holley 750 vac sec, Victor Jr., custom 1.75" headers, Spintech 2.5" exhaust with x-pipe and Sportsman XL mufflers.
Transmission:
1996 T-56, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch and billet flywheel
Suspension:
Guldstrand Mod. Landrum 600# front springs and adjustable spacers, Hotchkis 1.125" front bar, Detroit Eaton 175# rear springs, Bilstien shocks.
1971 Ford Bronco
Stock 302, 4" rock crawler suspension lift, 1.5" body lift, NP435 tranny, 4.11 gears, Detroit Locker rear diff., Power-Lock limited slip front diff., 33" BFG MudTerrain tires.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 02, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Steve,

I looked at the link that you gave me for the Windstar fan install. Looks pretty good, but I'm concerned that they may be too wide for a Camaro radiator. The link shows the install on a Chevelle, and I'm pretty sure they have wider radiators than Camaros. What do you think?

Why do you say the Mark VIII fan does not fit as well as the others? Is it too wide/narrow, hard to attach, etc?

I'm looking for a cheap high flowing electric fan setup for my car, so the Spal fan setup is kinda out of the question. I'm hoping to find a good Mark VIII or Windstar fan setup cheap from a junkyard or something, but am trying to figure out which one will work best.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone - 350/TH-350 with shift kit, CompCams XE268H, Dynomax Jet-Hot headers, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Vintage Air

-2002 Impala LS - Medium Bronzemist Metallic, every option except engine block heater

<A HREF="http://www.furman.edu/~jtrauner" TARGET=_blank>Click here to see my Camaro and my parents' 2002 Impala LS.
</A>
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 02, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Lonnie,

Is the Mark VIII fan really 5.75" deep from the radiator core to the deepest point on the fan? Is this depth right in the center of the radiator? If so, it won't fit in my car with a long water pump, and switching to a short water pump is out of the question.

Also, I will most likely be upgrading my alternator very soon because the stocker can't handle the Vintage Air at idle. Will a 105 amp alternator be sufficient to power one of these fans and the A/C blower at the same time, or will I need a 140 amp alternator?

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

</A>
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 02, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Justin, I'll double check the thickness of the fan tonight. I have the long water pump too, and a radiator with a 3" core. The pics on my website have the short pump. I have enough room to squeeze the belt through. You can trim 3/4" off the shroud if you need to, I didn't.

I just installed a Vintage Air kit also. I have a spal 10" fan on the condenser. My 100 amp altenator can't keep up. I will be ordering a 140 amp.

Just to let you know, I drove my car around for about an hour Friday, with the A/C on. Hwy/city. It was at least 108 degrees out. My engine temp got up to about 205. When I got home I let it idle for about 10 minutes. Temp did not increase, but the battery went dead. My voltage was 12.0 and less at idle.

Lonnie

------------------
website
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 02, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

The fan measures 22"w X 19"h X 5 5/8"d. Here are some pics. http://www.geocities.com/lonnie67_1966/MarkVIII.html

------------------
website
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 02, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Lonnie, that link is great....exactly what I needed. Out of curiosity, where are you getting the 140 amp alternator from? Does it fit the stock brackets?

I think what I may do is keep my belt driven fan and add the biggest aftermarket electric fan I can fit (16" or so) to the front of the condensor to act as a pusher. I will wire this fan to turn on with the A/C clutch and also thermostatically with the engine coolant. I know that pushers aren't as efficient, but I'm thinking it should add enough airflow to work well in conjunction with my stock belt-driven fan. It'll be like a new BMW...they have belt driven fans with a pusher mounted in front of the A/C condensor. With this setup I'm thinking that I should also be fine with a $70 over the parts counter 100 amp alternator, so that saves me quite a bit of cash. I can't really afford the investment in a tremendous alternator, and after reading Lonnie's comment, I'm concerned that a 100 amp alternator ain't gonna cut it with the Mark VIII fan.

So tell me, what do you guys think??

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

</A>
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 06:43 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

I don't know if you can get a $70 100 amp over the counter, but a 100 amp will be fine without a big electric fan.

I'm buying a 140 amp Powermaster, part # 47294 from Summit. Supposed to have 80 amps at idle. $140 for the natural finish. The also have the chrome version for $200, 37294, and black powder coated for $190. The have a different chrome one for $150, 37293 don't know the details. www.powermastermotorsports.com

------------------
website

[This message has been edited by Lonnie67 (edited 07-08-2002).]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 07:20 AM
BC
Senior Tech

For another alternative to the fans, check out http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/270_280.htm

looks like a decent setup, pulls up to 5,500 CFM! But would like to know the cost.

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
Colorado Springs, CO

68 Camaro... someday!
71 Chevelle SS
70 Nova
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech

BC, that thing is way to big to fit on our cars. I could barely fit the twin Spall 11" fans on my radiator.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 09:15 AM
BC
Senior Tech

Mark,
I'm not so sure about that, but then maybe my car is a little different. I was actually looking at it from the perspective of my Chevelle which seems to have a strange radiator in it. This discussion came up a while ago on Team Chevelle and everyone kept saying their radiators were 27" wide x 19" tall. Well, I measured mine and it turned out to be 34" wide and 19" tall! Those fans are supposedly for trucks with 34" wide by 17" tall, so I think it would fit! I guess I should measure the Novas radiator, but I thought Novas, Camaros and Chevelles all used the same radiators.

I'd like to find out how much they cost, plus, I like the variable speed module they have.

I'm not saying it will work! Just another option for someone wanting the BBD!
(Bigger-Better-Deal)

PS Hey Justin, Where did you get that AC setup from, that is real slick and very nice install!

Bill C.

[This message has been edited by BC (edited 07-08-2002).]
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech

Yeah your radiator must me alot wider then mine. My core was only about 23" wide.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 04:30 PM
BC
Senior Tech

Well Mark,
I don't know what you have in your's, but the one in the Nova is a 27" by 19". But I did re-measure the Chevelle and it is 34" wide by 19" tall... guess the truck one my fit it.

Bill C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode