Broken Flexplate info. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 02, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I'm posting this for general info in case someone has this problem or think they do.
454/400 combo.
I didn't know at first what I was hearing, but it was a unmistakeable clicking coming from under the vehicle under acceleration only, at first. It became louder & louder in a matter days just driving it around town, not too far away from home. It sounded like it could've been a driveline at first, or a motor mount going away letting the fan move into the shroud on acceleration. But I could pinpoint the noise coming from between motor & trans.
I took inspection cover off & looked but didn't see anything out of the ordinary until I got a halogen lamp & a small dental mirror. After turning the flexplate a few times inspecting & looking for anything wrong, there it was. A hairline crack going from one of the big holes to a bolt hole. It was small & not real easy to see. I had to take my time & really look around at all of it before I saw this crack.
After pulling trans back I took it out.
OH MY!! This thing was ready to cut loose completely. It was split all around the bolt flange. It couldn't have lasted too much longer especially the way I drive. I'm glad I didn't "let it go for now" or it could've cost alot more.
Price, $46 for a stock one. Thought about going with a stronger one but why? This one lasted 29 years pulling boats with campers and trailers with cars and using tranny to brake on steep hills. This one will live as long as I will now. LOL
Hope someone finds the info helpful in troubleshooting.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 02, 08:25 PM
Senior Tech
TJ

Sounds like you caught it just in time! I chose to go with a blue cat tough flexplate "just to be sure". It only cost me $70 CAN for the extra peace of mind.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech

Steve,
I've changed a few of those and the noise can be deceiving. I've had some that made a rattle noise when you accelerated.

Just to add, a couple of 6" bolts screwed into the block will save you from pulling the tranny down. Just unbolt the converter, slide it back, slide the tranny back on the long bolts and change it out.

------------------
Drew

69' X-11 350, Turbo 350, Factory Air, PS, PB, 12 Bolt (410 gear) & NOT AN SS

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Glad you found it Steve.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode