Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 02, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
My top goes down but won't go up. I found a leaky hyd actuator or strut (couldn't find anything in the factory assembly manual or the chassis service manual I have, so don't know if that's what they are really called) It's leaking where the shaft comes out of the body of the unit.

I haven't seen rebuild kits so it looks like a new one is in order. It looked like I could unbolt the strut shaft from the top frame and then the single bolt at the top of the strut body but the single mounting bolt is in a position that doesn't allow a wrench to fit on the nut. If I remove the 2 other bolts that are there it looks like I have to take the main connection to top frame off as well as the end of the strut. With the top up I think it will colaps on me doing it this way.

Anyone been through this recently that can help and save me some time and frustration?

In my research through all the topics on the site I was able to find this on bleading power top hyd actuators.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff H:
AHH, nothing like bleeding the power top. I never had a problem with the circuit breaker, but when there was air in the lines, it wouldn't make it all the way up. Don't run the pump when it starts sucking air or you'll burn it out. You need to crack open the lines at the bottom of the cylinders as you try to put the top up. When it stops making progress going up, close the lines and pull the fill plug out of the pump and let it down slowly to let air back out through the pump. It's messy and takes a lot of up and down, but it's worth it when it works right!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the fill plug the rubber plug on the passanger side of the unit mounted behind the back seat? Is there an alternative bleeding method that can be done with the top up?

Thanks in advance!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 07-06-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 02, 12:40 PM
Kevin

Dennis, the hydraulic rams, pistons, whatever should be taken off with the top up. The top will not come down on you. There is no room to take them out with it down. Just unbolt them. Make a note where the hinge bolts to the body to make sure you put them back in the same place. I did a bunch of posts when bleeding my top.
https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/005642.html
https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/005752.html

Luck, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, 3.55 posi too! Driver
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 02, 01:41 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

I just went through putting in new cylinders.

1-Put the top up.
2-Unbolt the top single bolt from the piston rod.
3-Loosen the two bolts that are on each side of the cylinder bolt(good point Kevin, mark where they were before you loosen them). After they are loose you can move the cylinder and it will move the outside bolt into a position where you can get a wrench on it.
4-Remove the inside cylinder bolt. This one is a PIA!!
5-The inside bolt even though loose sometimes cannot be removed because there isn't enough room to back it out. If this happens you'll have to monkey with it until you can pull the cylinder out.
6-Remove the hydraulic hose from the cylinder.

After I put in new cylinders I used ATF in the pump. All I did was fill the resovoir about 75% then put the top up and down(with the resovoir plug off) and refill the cylinder each time until everything was full of fluid and all of the air was out.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 02, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Kevin & Paul - thanks for all the info... I knew I had seen some of it in the past but all the key words I used when searching turned up 200 threads to look through and I didn't stumble on Kevins...

The hyd cylinders are $120 - $140 ea Has anyone rebuilt them?

Thanks again!!!!!

------------------
...Dennis
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Ok, I have the bad one out! Big warning!!! Even after draining the fluid out of one of these don't, I repete DON'T try to push the rod back into the cylinder... (I know where they got the idea for the supersoaker!! ) Man that thing shot 20' at least and it was like a shotgun about 4 feet wide!!I just finished cleaning up the mess!! To think I was so carefull inside the car... LOL!!

------------------
...Dennis
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 02, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Another big thanks guys, the new hyd ram (I even learned the proper name for the part ) is in and the guidance given made it a very easy job. To bleed and top off the system I I found a section of plastic tubing that fit in the fill hole and wrapped one end with elect tape until the dia was the same as the stopper. Stuck one end in a qt of brake fluid and the taped up end in the fill hole and seated it snugly. Top up, top down several times as recomended and finally top down and replaced the plug. Top works better than ever!!

I'm thinking about starting an archive for convertible information and moving threads I find into it. Archives are finished posts and I don't think they can be added to I'll get with Al maybe a ragtop forum is something he would consider as well.

Thanks again I have an interior to put back together and some tranny fluid lines to work on!!

------------------
...Dennis
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 12:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

DJD

Love the idea of a convertible forum.

------------------
Roger

68 SS RS Convertible
LS-1 6 speed
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech

Dennis,

Give Dave a call @ Camaro's and Classic's

Here's a URL to his site for the lift cylinders @ $129.00 which is cheaper than most in cost. Also I suggest that you call him for info on a rebuild kit rather than replacing to keep costs down!

http://www.camarosandclassics.com/Mercha nt2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CAC&Category_Co de=Camaro+Convertible+Top+Motor+and+Pump

Good luck,

Tom

[This message has been edited by 67 Prostreet (edited 07-15-2002).]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 08:54 AM
Kevin

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 08:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Sounds good to me too.

------------------
-Randy
Cars:
<A HREF="http://www.camaroclubkc.com/rs1968ss.htm" TARGET=_blank>68 RS/SS BB ragtop
</A>RWHP: 329.4 RWTQ: 398.9
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 67 Prostreet:
Dennis,

Give Dave a call @ Camaro's and Classic's

Here's a URL to his site for the lift cylinders @ $129.00 which is cheaper than most in cost. Also I suggest that you call him for info on a rebuild kit rather than replacing to keep costs down!

http://www.camarosandclassics.com/Me...Motor+and+Pump

Good luck,

Tom

[This message has been edited by 67 Prostreet (edited 07-15-2002).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Day late and $5.00 less than I paid but thanks for the link....

------------------
...Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode