Tranny (new -vs- old) - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'd like to go from a PG to a TH350 and I'm wondering if most of you would buy a "new" B&M or ATI unit or get a rebuild froma local shop.

My first thought was to go local but with all the problems a friend (MobileTools) is having with his local trannIES, I am second guessing that!

Thoughts???

Cheers,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech
John

I bought a TCI brand TH350 through Summit about 4 years ago and have had no problems with it. Of course, it was backing up my old 327... we'll see how it does with the newer, hotter, 355.

If I had it to do over again, I would replace my PG with a TH200-4R... the TH350 isn't much fun on the highway with my 3.73 gears.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 03:59 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to tl757
I went through this a month ago. Alot of the places around here dont have rebuild TH350's. Dont know bout down by you. The thing to ask them is if they will give a good warrenty. I found a few down by New Haven and they wouldnt give much of any garauntee. Also the price isnt much differnt between new and rebuild depending which company you use. I got mine new for 654 and a 75 core charge. B&M is in the 8's so I would cast a vote for a new one. better to do it right this time and have a little more security.
Tim

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 02, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boodlefoof:
If I had it to do over again, I would replace my PG with a TH200-4R... the TH350 isn't much fun on the highway with my 3.73 gears.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would you choose a TH2004R over a 700R4? 200s aren't known for ruggedness, but I wouldn't classify them as junk. A 700R4 / 4L60 is a much better buy.

-dnult
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

boodlefoof,

I'm going to put this behind my 327 w/ 3.73's.

I have heard a lot of folks say, "Get rid of the PG and put a Th350 in cause the PG is not fun on the highway."

Now you are saying "isn't much fun on the highway."

Yikes!!! Is it really that bad? This isn't going to be a daily driver but a car I would like to be able to take on lengthy drives.

Any more info will be appreciated!

Regards,
Rob

BTW:
Tim,

I couldn't agree more!

Quote:
"better to do it right this time and have a little more security."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
The "problem" with 3.73's and the 350/400 is you will be turning some serious RPM's at 70mph. But there isn't that much of a difference between the 3.55's and 3.73 at 70. 3374 vs 3211 with a 26" tire.

I will have the 3.73's installed next week to back up my 327 and TH350. I can give you a report then.

-Funk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 04:24 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

dnult,

There are more high performance parts for the 200-r4 than for the 700-r4 because of the Buick Grand National guys. They run many hundreds of horsepower thru their built 200-r4s without any problems. Apparently, the 700-r4 has some design limitations that can't be fixed, even in a high performance build.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 05:13 AM
Senior Tech
John

the TH350 is much more fun around town, but when you get on the highway it has the same final gear ratio (1:1) as the powerglide. With 3.73 rear gears, the rpms are a bit high at 65 mph... around 3000rpm.

The TH200-4R in stock form is pretty weak, but like Gheatly said, there are lots of aftermarket pieces to make them pretty tough. I particularly like them because they are the same overall length as the PG or TH350, and use the TH400 mount location, so all you need is a new tranny crossmember. The gear spread of the 200 is also better than the 700, which has a really big drop between first and second gear. The nice .67:1 overdrive will give you around a 2000rpm cruise at 65mph with those 3.73 gears. The lockup torque converter will also reduce tranny fluid temps considerably.

If you are interested in seeing TH200-4R trannies that can take nearly a thousand horses, use the search function and look for a guy named Bruce who used to come around this site. His user name is "WE4" and he runs a tranny shop... I think in Phoenix AZ.
www.tpiperformance.com also sells TH200-4R kits that they say can handle around 400-450 horses, and for $1500 you get everything you need to put it in other than the crossmember.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RFrenette:
I have heard a lot of folks say, "Get rid of the PG and put a Th350 in cause the PG is not fun on the highway."

Now you are saying "isn't much fun on the highway."

Yikes!!! Is it really that bad? This isn't going to be a daily driver but a car I would like to be able to take on lengthy drives.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as top gear goes, there won't be any difference between a PG and THM350 since all automatices other that overdrives are 1:1 in drive.

-dnult
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode