Engine Compartment Detailing - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to tl757
I have cleaned up and painted my engine comapartment three times now and it wont stay clean. I am in the mists of the 4th time and it WILL be the final. I'm using a gloss black on the wheel wells, a-arms, frame, rad support, everything but the firewall which will be flat. Can I put a coat of clear coat on it without any probs with the heat. Or is it even worth it as far as looks? Anyone with pictures would be nice.
Thanks
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Cameron

If mine gets dirty, I just clean it. I usually use one of those spray and wipe detailing sprays. My engine compartment doesn't really get all that dirty though. About the only time that it really gets dirty is when I drive the car in the rain, which doesn't happen if I can help it. Here is a link to some pics: http://cards.webshots.com/cp-2536818...38182394akfhbj
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 02, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech

POR15....

Enough said!

Good Luck,

Tom

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 02:56 AM
Senior Tech
James

I won't even get into destroying your engine compartment with POR15 because you are obviously trying to do a good job and not just paint something black forever.

I had a 67 years ago that I powdercoated the subframe and suspension. Easy to keep clean - only brake fluid could hurt the finish but permanent, non-original and, if you scratch it, it never touches up.

The 67 I have now was done with conventional paint - base clear on the firewall and enamel on the rest.

For keeping it clean in the future, I like S100 motorcycle cleaner.

Just my 2 cents
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 05:01 AM
Tech Team

I second the s-100 for cleaning..Spot free drying etc. goos stuff

------------------
Lets talk 67 PaceCar specifics!Looking to compare Festival POP's
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I like to use Krylon #1613, semi-flat. Then after I clean under the hood, I spray Armor All on the paint parts and it cleans up real nice.
Bruce
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 06:56 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tl757:
I have cleaned up and painted my engine comapartment three times now and it wont stay clean. I am in the mists of the 4th time and it WILL be the final. I'm using a gloss black on the wheel wells, a-arms, frame, rad support, everything but the firewall which will be flat. Can I put a coat of clear coat on it without any probs with the heat. Or is it even worth it as far as looks? Anyone with pictures would be nice.
Thanks
Tim
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim - what's happening to make you keep repainting? Once it's painted and clean it should be very easy to wipe down when you're detailing the rest of the car...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Dennis,
It is mainly from other projects. I installed the engine and did alot of workw ith it in so the compartment got messed. If i take of the fenders or panels for certain thing it will get scratched. Differnt things. It really not jsut dirt that I just clean off. So now that the engine and front clip is set I tohught it would be the final time.
Thanks
Tim
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 05:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

How are you prepping the metal? It has to be free of oil and grease etc. I painted mine with Chevy underhood black in a spray can, I did the engine also with chevy orange, I don't have pictures, but it came out great. Seems to be very durable so far... The name on the can is Details out of San Diego, Ca. tel. 619.451.1901 Hope this helps...Mike
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 06:31 PM
Tech Team

tl757 look at it this way if it's not your engine compartment it will be something else. My girlfriend thought I was nuts when she walked out of the house and saw me compounding and waxing the gas tank. Compulsive, who me?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 02, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Call me a cheapskate but I use ordinary Rustoleum semi-gloss black. I like it because it is very easy to touch up if I scratch it. I use Palm Olive dish soap and a soft bristle scrub brushes to get bugs and "stuff" off the paint if a simple wipe down won't do it.

I'll send an email - I've driven the car about 3000 miles since the engine bay paint was done.

ps. another key is to quickly fix any and all leaks.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 02, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the info, I now know how to clean it once it is done. Just on thing my email is changed and I havnt switched my profile yet, [email protected]
Thanks again
Tim
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 02, 09:46 AM
Jeremiah

I use Du Pont base/clear for engine compartments. Use a flattening agent in the clear to achieve any gloss desired. The clear coat is more durable than a single stage paint and will last as long as you take care of it. POR 15 is a half *** way to repair anything, The Crylon Semi gloss will get you nice looking results but you will have to be careful, brake fluid or gas will ruin it on contact. I also use Dot 5 brake fluid in my cars, it wont absorb moister and will not harm your paint if any accidents were to happen.

[This message has been edited by Jeremiah (edited 07-13-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode