Magnaflow or Flowmasters? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 02, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Ok, I am stuck, should I put Magnaflows or Flowmasters 50 series 3 chambers delta mufflers on my 69 350/300hp camaro? I don't want it too loud, I'm too old for that, I just want a deep, healthy tone that I can talk over and not rattle my old teeth out. I would appreciate any opinions. Thank you in advance...Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 02, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

I would not go with Flowmaster if you don't want your teeth rattled. Not sure who makes the Magnaflows, but Dynomax makes good deep sounding mufflers that aren't loud.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 02, 02:10 PM
xodus921

I just fired my engine up with those flowmasters on it...I was really shocked at how loud it is...I thought these were the quiter ones. Loud is not a bad thing for me, But they are alot louder then I expected.

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350, Th350- Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake, Holley 650, Trick flow twisted wedge heads, dynomax headers,flowmaster american thunder exhuast[/list]http://hobbystage.net/camaro/xodus921/

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 02, 03:56 PM
GARY LINDEMAN

Hey! I am 50 this month restoring my first Z28 (that I could not afford when I was 17).
I am putting on chambered exhaust system! Is that too old for loud?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 02, 04:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

I put the Magnaflows on mine and am happy. With the big block and headers I get a nice rumble at idle. They REALLY wake up when you get on it however!

------------------
-Randy
Cars:
<A HREF="http://www.camaroclubkc.com/rs1968ss.htm" TARGET=_blank>68 RS/SS BB ragtop
</A>RWHP: 329.4 RWTQ: 398.9
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 02, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xodus921:
I just fired my engine up with those flowmasters on it...I was really shocked at how loud it is...I thought these were the quiter ones. Loud is not a bad thing for me, But they are alot louder then I expected.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry, soon you'll go deaf and the noise won't bother you anymore. I like mine because now I have an excuse for ignoring the wife - Here's a typical conversation: What? WHAT? - you say you're going to take the trash out and clean the garage for me!? THANKS! WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOOOUUUU . . . the Camaro is running . . . GUESS IT WILL HAVE TO WAIT TIL I GET BACK FROM THE TRACK

Just kidding.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 02, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech

Magnaflow vs Flowmaster

I had the same problem. I have a 69 conv with a 350 mild cam (and stock exhaust manifolds) I went with the Magnaflows (with 2.25 pipe) and I am very happy. Nice and quiet at idle and cruise with a deep throaty rumble at WOT. I am sure I made the right choice.

cheers and good luck

bob spears

------------------
69mscle
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 02, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Bob, I liked your response, I think I'll go with Magna's, The muffler shop said that if I didn't like the Magna's He'll change them out to flows...No charge!! what a deal! thanks again and I'll let you know how they sound. Mike
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 02, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I love my flowmasters, I love the sound, I love the noise level. My wife says she would kill me if I put quiter exhaust on it.........she loves them too!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 02, 11:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

If sometime in the far future I get tired of the Flowmanter's sound, then I'll switch to another more civilized muffler. Until that happens, I'm letting everybody on the road now a V8 is comming their way.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 02, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
I personally dont like the way they sound, becuase i can always tell when someone has them.
I dont want to pass another car with gear heads in it and have them say ....Flowmasters.
Your choice, personally i'm going for straighline performance "street mufflers" becuase i've heard they dont resonate, and they arent very loud. I want my car to sound good not make me deaf.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 02, 01:32 PM
Tech Team

I got the American Thunder kit from Flow master, it has the crossover pipe, and the exhaust has a smoother deep tone that sounds much better then my family's hot rods with turbo mufflers. They just sound loud and choppy. I am happy with my interior noise level, you can have a conversation without yelling, the wind noise is louder then the exhaust, but when you get on em, it sounds really good. (350) Comp Xtreem 268 (.470/.480) Cam

-67Electro

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 02, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech

I started with Magnaflows and swapped to Dynomax's. Both sound great but the Magnaflows were a little too loud for me. The Magnaflows were also quite a bit more expensive up front. I would have spent a lot less to just put on the Dynomax mufflers the first time around.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 01:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I keep reading on this and wonder what options I really have. I have a 68 ragtop with a new 350. I have the American Thunder with Flowmaster Delta 40s sitting in a box ready to go on. I posted a question several months ago about whether I could even use the Delta 50s and most responses were that they wouldn't fit. I wonder if those Dynomax will fit with my AT 2 1/2" system.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 02:04 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
Winch-
Try out what you have first. I have the same thing, and it can be loud outside the car, but I was shocked how quiet it is on the inside.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode