Cowl Induction - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Just recv'd my cowl induction parts for my 302 and have a few questions.

1. When I close the hood the rubber seal slips off the flange. Should I be using some kind of weather strip adhesive?

2. What is the turned up part with the notch in it for on the inside of the flange at the back side?

3. What decals other then the 302 on the cover do I need to purchase for the base?

4. Where does the wiring go thru in the firewall.

Thanks,
Gary

1969 Cortez Silver Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Hi Gary,

#1 - The seal should stay on without the glue pretty well. Mine was inside out when I opened the box up. It ended up fitting quite well by itself but I did use some 3M super weatherstrip adhesive just to be sure. By the way, I leave the extension ring off so it fits better that way.

2# - The notch matches up with the indent for the distributor area on the rear. It has no function on this application.

3# - There is a "Keep your GM car all GM" or something like that on the front side of the lower housing and a "Rear" sticker for the back of the sealing ring.

4# - the wiring goes thru a hole you drill near the fuse panel. I have seen the dimensions in the assy manual I believe.

-Mark.

P.S. - how did you make out with that distributor gear eating engine of yours? Back on the road again yet?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech
William

If you have an assembly manual see the ZL2 section.

The seal was glued to the flange & taped at the seam.

The flange was used in several applications without a spacer. For those applications that part of the flange is formed to clear the indentation in the air cleaner base for the distributor.

In addition to the 302 decal there was a small "REAR" decal placed on the flange by the distributor notch. The left side of the air cleaner base should have a "Keep your GM car all GM" decal with a code like DG.

NOWHERE on the car should there be a CAUTION-FAN decal. Must have seen a dozen on Camaros at SC-Indy.

The wiring enters the cowl just above the fuse box. It is difficult if not impossible to drill the hole with the LH fender installed. And take care not to drill through the wiring harness on the other side. You'll also have to drill a small hole for the relay.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 05:19 AM
Senior Tech

What is the diameter of the seal on the new unit? I ordered a new seal for my original CI air breather but the thing is about 4 inches too large.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thanks for the replies folks.

Mark, can you snap a few pics of your cowl breather with the seal and the decals? I changed the cam to a .480" lift and had my friend set up my Z distributer on his sun machine. Runs very well and strong with the 4:10's and that cam and NO spark knock. The shaft in the Unilite that came with the car was toast so it made the dist. gear wobble on the cam gear. My only problem now is..."THAT NASTY FREAKIN'(and a few other choice words)OIL LEAK COMING FROM THE TIMING COVER AND OIL PAN". I have new gaskets, just have to make time to pull the oil pan. I dislocated my shoulder last month so I have to take it easy.

William, thanks for the tip on the caution fan decal. I didn't think that was correct anywho.

Jim McG, my seal is roughly 20 to 21 inches in diameter and roughly 64 inches from end to end.

Gary

1969 Cortez Silver Z28

[This message has been edited by 69Z28 (edited 07-16-2002).]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Gary, you have mail!

-Mark.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 02, 09:37 AM
Team Member
John

Here's what it should look like:
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=146370
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=146398

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 02, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

After talking with Mark (Stingr69) and Matt at Ricks, I found that the cowl seal was inside out. Thanks for the help. Looks much better now.

Thanks,
Gary

1969 Cortez Silver Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode