81 z28 verification? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I recently bought an 81 z28 from someone in canada and can't help but notice some diffeneces from the 81 z28 that i currently own.
first off, on the doors of the car, the canadian z28 has those chrome&plastic door scuff guards... do you know what i'm talking about? they run from the back of the front fender to the frint of the rear fender. My current american Z28 does not have this.

also, on the fuel door, there is a chevy emblem (on the canadian car) but on the american, there is a Z28 logo.

did i buy a clone Z28, or were the canadian versions different... were those door guards ever an option..... i suspect that this is not actually a z28, but a berlinetta with z28 parts on it or something? does any one know of any differences betwen canadian built and american built... is there any difference?

thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 12:46 AM
xodus921

I would think there wasn't really any difference...Try asking at www.nastyz28.com
its a second gen site and there are alot of guys from canada on there....

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350, Th350- Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake, Holley 650, Trick flow twisted wedge heads, dynomax headers,flowmaster american thunder exhuast[/list]http://hobbystage.net/camaro/xodus921/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech

See the above site, or specifically, the 1981 camaro page.

The thing you're describing on the door is part of the style trim group. This is optional on any car. The rear emblem can be unscrewed and ran off with in 30 seconds. It sometimes happens and a new Z28 emblem costs $40.

Check your VIN. This car should be a 350 (if it's a Z28). The main difference between a Canadian car and a US delivered one is the Canadian model doesn't have an ECM in it. Notice on your 81Z you have a "check engine" light on the dash, while the canadian one doesn't have that. The 81Z also came with the 305 V8 std (350 optional), except in Canada. Canadians could also get a 350 4 speed, which was unavailable in the US (the 350 required the Automatic trans).

Use the above page to decode your VIN and trim tag, in 5 minutes you'll know exactly what you're looking at.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks for the info... will check out the vin.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 03:30 PM
Tech Team

I bought a new 1981 Z/28 in the spring of that year, and live in Canada
(Toronto) and my '81 Zee actually had
Z 28 on the data plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode