Rear View Mirror fell off, what type of glue? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My rear view mirror fell off due to excessive heat this summer. Who make a good type of glue to reattach? I have not had good luck with most manufactures.

------------------
Thou shall not convet they neighbor,s Camaro

69 SS350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 05:22 AM
Tech Team

I'm assuming it's one that sticks to the windshield? There is a two step cement kit that will re-attach it to the windshield. Most auto parts stores or the automotive dept. of a dept. store (Walmart etc.) will have it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 05:55 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Please elaborate! Camaro mirrors don't attach to the windshield. Are we talking about the interior mirror or the one on the door. Also is this on your '69?

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

You guys are too good. Yes it is not for my 69. It is for my wifes Mini Van. I have had in the past other mirrors that attach to the windshilds (not the 69) fall of and not be successful with the glues they sell at the auto parts store.

My question is......is there any manufacture that makes a good glue product. Thank you.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 09:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Any auto parts store will carry glue for this application. It is probably super glue, however it is marketed as rear view mirror glue or something like that.

One suggestion, loosen the mirror from the small tab/piece that glues to the windsheild. There should be a hex head screw that you can loosen to separate the mirror from this. Then glue that tab piece to the window in desired position and remount the mirror to it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonesy:
Any auto parts store will carry glue for this application. It is probably super glue, however it is marketed as rear view mirror glue or something like that.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he's looking for a brand name. Sounds like he's already tried these types.

Definitely take off the mounting tab, and make sure the glass as well as the metal is clean (use the alcohol swab they give you). You might even rough up the metal a bit with some fine grit sandpaper. I've used these kits before with good results, never had one fall off after doing it properly.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech

I knocked the mirror off of my BMW a couple of years ago. After trying the auto parts store adhesives twice I took it to an automotive glass shop and had them glue it. It's been fine ever since and they charged me $10.00. for the job. Well worth it.

Scott.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am going to try GM's mirror glue kit. It is a two part system. I will definatly glue the metel bracket first, before I hang the heavy mirror. I would go to a window installion shop, but there is not one near where I live. I will let you know how it goes.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 02:14 AM
Senior Tech

Also, make sure that you put it in the correct position. If not, you may not be able to turn down your visors without them hitting the mirror. Just test fit the mirror and note the location with your visors DOWN.

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech

I have used the one from part stores for hundreds of customers and had only a couple that I had to re-do. Most folks either use too much glue, dont apply the accelerator or dont press the button to the windshield and tape it in place for 24-48 hrs. I only apply the accelerator to the glass only. When I put it on the button the car came back the next hot day and the glue is on th glass and the button came off with no hint of adhesive. this told me to only put the accelerator on the glass. It worked well for me?!?!

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

That is exactly what I have. All the glue is on the windshild and none on the button. It was a hot day when it fell off. What is strange is that we have had many hot days before this and the mirror did not fall off.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech

I think the bond wears away gradually untill all of a sudden it fails. Try redoing it this time no accelerator on the button and let it cure for a day or two. I would bet that if you had the old package the store may reimburse you(I know you prob pitched it). I have taken the button to the wire wheel before also. just watch you fingers.

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 02, 02:20 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

If you go and buy one of the 2 part kits from an parts store, clean the area where you want the bracket to go on. Take some sand paper and scuff the side that goes against the glass. Spray a bit of hardner on both the bracket and the glass and let it dry a sec.. Apply a small stripe down the center of the bracket and apply it to the glass and hold in place for about 30 sec. It should and will work. I've installed more brackets that I care to count.

------------------
Jim
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 02, 03:27 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

I agree with Newport30. I tried to reglue the
one on my malibu wagon. It just fell off again. I took it to an autoglass place and they put it on for 10 bucks. It took all of five minutes. They do it all the time and they do a good job. Don't waste your time or money.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
30,000 mi motor
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode