Transmission Identification Help Needed - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

I'm having a hard time identifying the transmission in my 1969 RS/SS Pace Car. The car originally came with a 350 turbo since the engine is a 350/300 "HB" block and the console shifter is for a 3-speed. The first thing that I noticed wrong is when shifting the car into drive. The shifter is out of sync with the transmission. Everything except for "Park" seems to be off by about one notch. For example, when I put it in drive the shifter is actually on or near "2" instead of "3". Reverse occurs around the "N" on the console. I cant go all the way down to 1st gear since the shifter bottoms out before the transmission hits 1st. At first I thought someone may have put a Powerglide in the car, hence the reason for the transmission being out of sync with the shifter. However, the transmission does shift twice when driving indicating a 3-speed. The next thing I did was to crawl under the car to look at the tranny pan. It does not look like the shape of a standard 350 turbo pan. It is perfectly square instead of being square with one corner cut off. There are no numbers I can find on the pan either. One thing I did notice is that the pan has a drain plug even though it does not appear to be an aftermarket pan since it is not chrome. Could this transmission be a later model? What is the shape of the pan on a late model turbo 350?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 01:44 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like it might be a 700-R4. I'll email you some pan pictures and see if you can figure out which one is it.

I have a 700-R4 in my 68. I found that the bellcrank on the transmission was too long to span the gears on my stock horse-shoe shifter. I did some mathmatical acrobatics and ended up shortening the bellcrank by almost 1/2" and now I can span the gears.

What I did was measure the cable stroke with the cable disconnected from the transmission. It was 2". Then I looped a piece of wire through the bellcrank and clicked through the gears measuring the stroke at the bellcrank. The stroke was about 2 1/4" if I recall.

Using 2 and 1/4" as an example (measure to be sure), that means the stroke at the tranny was 25% too long, so I reduced the length of the bellcrank by 25% but cutting in half, lapping, and welding back together. You might be able to purchase the right part, but I'm cheap so hacked mine instead. I kinda thought the weld bead looked purdy too.

-dnult
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 03:23 PM
xodus921

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Oooooooooops, I made a mistake in my first post above. I crawled under the car again and it is a 350 turbo. Somehow I missed the angled corner on the pan. I also finally found the numbers on the pan too. Geeez, I must have been blind the first time I looked. Guess that's what happens when you try to do something at midnight. Of course I am still confused as to why the shifter is not in sync with the tranny especially now that I know it is a 350 turbo. I checked the linkage and everything is nice and tight. The numbers on the pan are Y9D 11N. Any ideas?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 03:08 AM
Kevin

Camstang, (what's with that name??? ) Y9D 11N decodes to:

Y= Toledo TH350
9= 1969 probably
D= April
11=11th of April
N= night shift

Check for a VIN number. Yours hopefully. Other then than it sounds like you need to adjust the shifter cable. Either at the trans side or the shifter side. Don't know automatic adjustments too well, sorry.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, 3.55 posi too! Driver
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KevinW:
Camstang, (what's with that name??? ) Y9D 11N decodes to:

Y= Toledo TH350
9= 1969 probably
D= April
11=11th of April
N= night shift

Check for a VIN number. Yours hopefully. Other then than it sounds like you need to adjust the shifter cable. Either at the trans side or the shifter side. Don't know automatic adjustments too well, sorry.

Kevin

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, thanks for the info. Looks like the tranny is original after all. This is great news especially since the car is a RS/SS Pace Car convertible! I made a post yesterday in the Tag Team section and someone decoded the "Y" as Cleveland, not Toledo. Any thoughts about this? Last night I checked the shifter linkage at the tranny and all looks well. I'm gonna pull the shift plate cover and check the linkage there to see if I can find a reason for the out of sync movement.

As for my name, well, I owned a 68 Camaro and 65 Mustang at the same time so I had to come up with something. I sold the Mustang last month so looks like I need a new name...lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode