Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Sounds like it might be a 700-R4. I'll email you some pan pictures and see if you can figure out which one is it.
I have a 700-R4 in my 68. I found that the bellcrank on the transmission was too long to span the gears on my stock horse-shoe shifter. I did some mathmatical acrobatics and ended up shortening the bellcrank by almost 1/2" and now I can span the gears.
What I did was measure the cable stroke with the cable disconnected from the transmission. It was 2". Then I looped a piece of wire through the bellcrank and clicked through the gears measuring the stroke at the bellcrank. The stroke was about 2 1/4" if I recall.
Using 2 and 1/4" as an example (measure to be sure), that means the stroke at the tranny was 25% too long, so I reduced the length of the bellcrank by 25% but cutting in half, lapping, and welding back together. You might be able to purchase the right part, but I'm cheap so hacked mine instead. I kinda thought the weld bead looked purdy too.