Looking for Stock HEI weight Bushings.. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I need a set(2) of the brass bushings that hold the advance weights on my HEI unit..

I want to keep the stock weights..And have even brought the the aftermarket weight setups trying to get the bushing..But the only ones I find are the large plastic bushings that work for the aftermarket weights...And they just won't work with the stock weights

Anyone have any ideas were I can get a set...Part # would be helpfull..The local GM dealer tells me they are not available..

Thanks in advance

------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
-------------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman
76 Limited edition T/A # matching
26 Ford Roadster..Pro street
79 Corvette..Frame off restoration..(Don't ask WHY )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 03:50 PM
David Pozzi

Have the GM dealer look it up for a Corvette. The Corvette books show more detail in the little parts that other GM parts books don't.

I bought even the little screws for point type distributors, wire pigtails for points, mainshaft and tach drive gears for vette.

Also try a Delco dealer, since the distributors are made by Delco. Delco Battery dealers can get parts, I think.

I've only seen plastic bushings on OEM HEI distributors, don't remember seeing brass.
A machinest could make them for you.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello David..Thats what I told the GM parts guy I needed it for..I told him 79 Corvette..HEI Bushing for the advance weights..He tells me they don't sell just the bushings..I have to buy the entire setup..Weights and shaft..$60.00..Seems extreme for just the bushings...Hate to have to buy a new HEI..But looks like the only way..Summit sells them for $150.00 I believe..Are they any good????Thanks

------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman
76 Limited edition T/A # matching
26 Ford Roadster..Pro street
79 Corvette..Frame off restoration..(Don't ask WHY )

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 12:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I want to keep the stock weights..And have even brought the the aftermarket weight setups trying to get the bushing..But the only ones I find are the large plastic bushings that work for the aftermarket weights...And they just won't work with the stock weights<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMO If the aftermarket plastic ones are too big in diameter, why not enlarge the original weight's hole? You are thinking about a new HEI anyway, If they are higher, you can sand them down also.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 02, 07:14 PM
David Pozzi

I have a GM illustration book for up to 80. don't have the parts book though. It shows a "cam" that is the piece that rotates when the weights move and the two outer pins are attached to it. It doesn't show any bushings at all, but they could possibly be in the parts list.
The main shaft is a separate part so I don't understand why it would be included.

See if you can get a look at section 2.381 the part is called a "cam".
Looks like HEI was used starting in 74 up.

You might find parts from some of the distributor rebuilders on the net, also some of the vette parts sources on the net.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 02, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

I have tried drilling the stock weights. Cobalt drills have no effect it looks like the are surface hardened for wear. the aftermarket weights are much softer and easily drilled. Why not use the aftermarket weights and you heavy springs if you want the same advance curve as stock (or close to it)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode