What do I support the body with when removing subframe? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm ready to begin subframe restoration.

Should I just throw a few old tires underneath the car and drop the subframe down? Anybody have any tips for me?
I do need to replace the floor pans at somepoint... but we can get into that at another date.

my guess at process would be to support subframe at current ride height, unbolt unibody, life unibody, roll subframe out, rest unibody on spare ties at good support locations and that's it.
As far as options, I have a front-end loader, an engine hoist, car jacks, jackstands, bottle jacks.... and lets not forget friends to help out. check the link in my signiture for current physical status on my car.

------------------
1968 Coupe, 327/210hp project in process. PS/PB, Factory AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech

i put floor jack with 4x4 in middle of car in tranny tunnel took the weight off front, then unbolted the subframe rolled it out and put jack stands on each firewall mount, then left it till i was ready to put back in, goodluck
Jake

------------------
1968 Camaro convertible, 454,th400,3500 stall,8.5 10 bolt,3.90 gears
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Jack up the car until the front wheels are almost off the ground (but still touching!)then set jackstands under your rocker panels with a length of 2X4 or 4X4 between the jackstand and the rockers. Let the car down slowly onto the wood/ jackstands. Place bottle jacks under the subframe ends (toward the rear)...remove bolts and other items fastened to the frame. Lower the bottle jacks and roll the frame out!

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 03:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I like chop tops way. I also bought a couple rubber wheels at the hardware store and made mounts for them so they could be bolted onto the firewall subframe bolt holes. Then you can roll the car around. The wheels have a ball bearing plate that lets it act like a crazy wheel, you can really get the car moved into tight spots.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 02, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech
John

I did it Choptop's way. I unhooked everything connecting subframe to body other than the subframe bolts, then lifted the car slightly, supported with jackstands and wood cushioning blocks under the rockers, then unbolted the sub, while supporting the rear of it with a rolling hydraulic jack. Don't want those rear frame rails to come crashing down!

Check out this part of my website for some info that might be helpful... www.geocities.com/boodlefoof/summer2002

Geocities might shut down the site every once in awhile because I get too much traffic, but it will be there sometime or another...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 02, 05:05 AM
Senior Tech

This is what I did:

Ran a 2X4 under the body and lifted just enough to put jack stands under. (Wheels almost on the ground.)

When the subframe was out I nailed two 2X's together, drilled a couple holes and bolted them as seen below:

I now have a jack stand under end end of the doubled-up 2X.

Good luck,
Rob

------------------
69 Frame-off in progress (pics)

[This message has been edited by RFrenette (edited 07-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by RFrenette (edited 07-18-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode