Weatherstriping, easy to change? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 02, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, if not, please relocate this question.

I have a question about the weatherstriping of a '67 camaro.
I know a Camaro for sale, and if everything goes according to plan I'll buy it. I've seen the car almost a year ago and I remember it had some bad weatherstriping allover the car but the rest is 100% ok. Is it easy to change the weatherstriping of the complete car (trunk, windows etc. etc.) and how long would it take to do it?
Thanks

------------------
David
I don't suffer from insanity.....I enjoy every minute of it!
Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaro_crew
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/dl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 02, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech

They sell the whole kit at Rick's first generation. I did my car in a weekend. It's messy but easy.

------------------
Stock 67 327 RS
www.angelfire.com/ca7/goatjjcamarors/index.html
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 02, 09:15 AM
Tech Team

I got a complete kit, installed it in a few hours. you'll need a shop vac to get all the crums you will spread everywhere from the removal of the old stuff. I recomend using 3M wetherstip adheasive (Black Goo of Death). works nice. (use rubber gloves) just put a bead on the weatherstrip rails, or where it contacts the door (it will be clear to see when you do it) and put it on the back side of the weather strip, and wait till it gets tacky, and then ya stick it in. not hard. just a little time consuming.
one thing to note, when installing the upper door frame weather strip, there will be a corner at the top of the windsheld post, start there and work both directions, if you dont, you'll end up with the 2 corners not matching up.

Hope that helps
-John

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 02, 02:23 PM
Tech Team

I change all the weatherstriping on my '67 with a kit from soft seal. The only one that gave me trouble was the rubber between the side and quarter glass. It slides in a chrome molding but you have to lubricate it with some dishwashing liquid. A day is enough if your doing the major ones, you'll need another day if you do door handles, key locks, and all the others.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 02, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Make sure you use the black glue. Don't be a moron (like me) and use the yellow. This stuff multiplies when it contacts air (just kidding) and will get EVERYWHERE. The black is easier to hide your mistakes. I also used a small drill bit to open up the holes that the plastic dowels press into. They are located at the ends of the weatherstrip, you will see what I am talking about when you get the new kit. Opening up the holes a little bit made the dowels push in a lot easier, mine where to rusted to allow proper fit.

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode