Is it worth buying? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 02, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I found a subframe from a 67 camaro. It's in good shape except for the rear mounting holes are gone and right in front of the rear mounting holes have several holes where rust has taken over. I could cut out the holes and weld a plate in and also weld a plate for the rear mounts. The guy wants $100 for the subframe and I have to take it from the car. What do you guys think?

------------------
Jay
69 SS-350 4-speed
Hotchkis suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 02, 07:24 AM
Senior Tech

yea I think it would be worth getting ,
any 67 subframe or 68 69 camaro and up to 74 nova I think , well any one with the linkage behind the wheel's , and in the condition that you describe would be a good investment , they make a patch kit to repair the area's you speak of , I saw it in rick's so that is probably common , I say grab it before someone else doe's ,

------------------
69 camaro traded for 67 camaro traded back for 69 now back with a 67 rs WILL IT NEVER END ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I HOPE NOT .
ADVENTURE'S IN RUST REPAIR
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 02, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

IMO its only a deal if you need one or know someone that does. The rust in those areas is real common and easy to fix if you can weld.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 02, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech

i personally wouldn't bother- those things are all over the place in salvage yards under the millions upon millions of Camaros, Firebirds, Novas, Venturas, Apollos, and Omega's that have long since been retired from the road. for that price, you can get one that is in pretty decent shape and doesn't need any patchwork done on it.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 02, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I've called 10 salvage yards in NC and one guy had a 69 in his junk yard and I went and looked at it. Car was from NY and rusted way too bad to get any parts at all from it. I'm going to get the 67 frame. I can buy the patch kit from Ricks and weld it in.

Thanks!

------------------
Jay
69 SS-350 4-speed
Hotchkis suspension

[This message has been edited by JayBird (edited 07-27-2002).]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 02, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I agree with novaderrik, there are literally thousands of cars you can get donor subframes from. Go to any junkyard and ask for a *Nova* subframe (1968-1974). They hear you say *Camaro* and the price goes up as well as the scarcity.

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 07-27-2002).]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 02, 12:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
You should be able to call wrecking yards out west and get something nice and have it shipped back. Look in Hemmings, there are usually people selling Dry west coast stuff. Forward Air is really reasonable on shipping.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 02, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech

around here a pre 1980 car in a salvage yard is rare , they crush all built up inventory every few year's , I guess different state's and yard's do thing's differently , If I went to a salvage yard here and asked for a 67 to 74 frame (OR ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER)
I would be laughed off the property ,

------------------
69 camaro traded for 67 camaro traded back for 69 now back with a 67 rs WILL IT NEVER END ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I HOPE NOT .
ADVENTURE'S IN RUST REPAIR
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 02, 07:48 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
try www.valueparts.com they have a locator that you can find parts within 0 miles to nationally.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 02, 09:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I think $100 is a little high. I've seen perfect ones for $175 but of course, timing is everything. I paid $200 for an excelleant one with the control arms, etc still on it. If you buy this one, don't bother spending the money on the pre-made repair kits. You can go to a salvage or recylcing place and get 1/8" steel plate for a few dollars that would repair many subframes. Cut a square out, drill a 1 1/2" hole and weld.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode