Ignition/electrical question...HELP!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 02, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Everything is hooked up and ready to go on the new 502, but...I get NO power(lights, fan, etc.) until I turn the key to START. It still doesn't crank, but I have no power anywhere until I turn the key all the way.

I jumped the starter terminals and the starter engages, so that's a detail at this point. I have the full MSD 6AL ignition, coil, and distributor.

I've been brainstorming and I'm stumped...HELP!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 02, 08:27 PM
Tech Team

it sounds like a dead or mis-wired ign switch, did you mess with it?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 02, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

No, didn't do anything with the wiring inside.
Pulled the 454 and dropped in the 502. The starter is different than my old one, this one has 2 large terminals, 1 + terminal, one small terminal(ignition/start I assume) and 1 terminal with a jumper going to the starter. My old starter was 1 large + terminal, and 2 small ones, solenoid and resistor I believe. I have the battery hooked up correctly, and one of the other leads hooked to the same terminal, and the ignition lead hooked up to the small terminal.
I tried other combos and this is the only one to give me ANY power, but it's ONLY with the key in the "START" position.

I'm losing my mind over this, this thing should have been fired up last night.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 02, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Well, I pulled the MSD distributor out and put the HEI back in and disconnected all the MSD stuff. Hooked the battery cable to the big battery post on the starter, hooked the purple wire to the solenoid, and hooked a wire from the battery post on the starter to the BATT connector on the HEI and still have nothing. No power to any lights, fan, etc. key on, off, or start. I have no clue where the problem lies.

I've never had any starting/electrical problems before I pulled the 454 out. I did mount the battery in the trunk and have the + cable running along the underside directly to the battery terminal on the starter.

I'm apparently no rocket scientist when it comes to electrical, but what makes the dome light, headlights, etc. work? I'm completely exhausted, mentally and physically, haven't even slept yet and I'm completely out of ideas.

Anyone with any guidance, please let me know what you think about this and what I need to do to get her fired up.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies
Mike
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 02, 04:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
There should be a second wire coming off the positive battery post. It sounds like it is not hooked up. It goes to a little plastic junction block mounted on the core support behind the battery.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 02, 05:36 AM
Senior Tech
John

Clill is right... there is a second positive lead from the battery that runs around the radiator support over to the horn relay. With this attached, you will have horn and lights without having to use the key.

I have my battery in the trunk, so I just jumped this lead off my alternator, which in turn connects to the positive battery terminal.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 02, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Oh my GOD, do you guys rule!!! Just hooked a jumper wire from the battery + terminal in the trunk, along the floor to that junction block(it was just a test), and the headlights came on as soon as I hooked it up, go around and hit the key real quick...it's dry/new. And the starter kicks.

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

If it sounds as if I'm overly gracious, not a chance, this was literally driving me crazy...like for 2 days, don't know WHY I didn't think of posting as soon as it became a problem.

I'm heading out to fill her with coolant and oil and fire her up. NOW I'm getting excited, initial fire up of the ZZ502!!!

Thanks a million again to you guys, I truly hope I can return the favor some day...just NOT in the electrical department. :P

Mike - 68SS454...a.k.a.68SS502(hurry up DMV)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 02, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
John

good luck with the break in! I just ran in my new 355 Saturday!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 02, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

It's ALIIIIIVE!!!
Thanks again for your help guys, I've driven it, but it was dark and didn't want to go far. Only around the neighborhood a few times. WOW, that's about all I can say at this point. Can wait til she's broke in...

Mike - 68SS502

Time to update the profile, eh?!

------------------
454, TH400 w/4,000 RPM stall and shift kit, 12-bolt posi w/4.11's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode