Whats a 67 rs/ss worth, I need help quickly !! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 02, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

I am about to make a purchase on a 67 rs/ss and I need to know what this thing is worth, just an estimate would be fine. It has numbers match 327, 4spd, ac, pdb, deluxe interior with the center console and gauges in console, it has a steel cowl hood, no rust, no damage, perfect glass and runs great. It does need paint and some interior work. It also has the 12 bolt posi with the factory 15 inch Ralley Wheels. The hide-aways work fine. I offered 5k and he accepted, I just need confirmation that this is a good deal. Thanks for any reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 02, 06:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

Yeah thats a decent price for what it is but it is not an SS with a 327. 4-speed A/C car that is driveable is worth the 5K

------------------
67 RS, 69Z
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 02, 06:42 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
You best slow down!! No 327ci in an SS car and no 15" wheels either!! The hood isn't correct for an SS also. Is the body in old paint or primer? Primer hides soo much so be careful. The price is ok and it may be a real good deal if the floors and body are solid (NO RUST) even though the car isn't an SS.

The biggest problem I see is, if you were mislead by the seller, what else isn't he telling you? Let the buyer beware!!!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 02, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

I asked him if he was 100% for sure it was a 327 because all the rs/ss I saw had a 350 in it, he told me he was sure. The only thing I can think of is that he has no idea for sure what engine is in it. I know the hood is not stock but he does have the stock hood.
The body is in excellent shape. So what do I look for in the RS/SS ? the RS/SS came with 15 inch wheels right ?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 02, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

sorry, the SS was the 350 option correct ? and the RS was the exterior design of the car correct ? I know that car has some of the same options "exterior" that my 68 RS once had.
Thanks for any input guys !!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 02, 07:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Get the info on the trim tag on the firewall and either post it or email to me. The tag info should tell you alot. Car should have a 350. Should have 14" wheels, The orig. hood should be a SS hood, not a flat or cowl hood.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 03:50 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

If the car has a rust free under the floors, it is a bargain. I am here to tell you it is probably a clone but even then, it is worth the bucks as a driver any day. If you assume it is a clone and are still happy with your purchase, great! If not, it is a bit late to be doing your homework in class the next day. You have an agreement already right? I am sure there are 50 guys on this forum that would love to have that car at that price so what do you have to loose? I would do it!

-Mark.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech

Well said, Mark !

------------------
Drew

69' X-11 350, Turbo 350, Factory Air, PS, PB, 12 Bolt (410 gear) & NOT AN SS
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 06:12 AM
Tech Team

Also, keep in mind that sometimes clones are more fun.

I love my numbers matching car, but sometimes those numbers are like handcuffs. I can't do anything to my car, because it would be sacrilege to mess up an original car. With a clone, you can go ahead and add disc brakes, different gear ratios, chrome up the engine, add performance parts, add interior parts (console, gages, deluxe interior, and other stuff that may not have been original on the car), etc.

So, I agree with the above sentiments regarding $5K being a bargain. But it depends on what you want. If you really wanted a #s matching car that you could return to factory-fresh condition, you probably need to keep looking. If you were looking for a car that you could make really nice and have a fun time with, I think you've found it.

Good Luck.

------------------
K.A. Young

67 SS 350
PowerGlide AT
AC, Deluxe Interior

Daily Driver
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

I was able to get the cowl tag and send them to a guy in this forum. He was able to tell me everything I need to know about the car. It comes back as a 67 RS Camaro, auto trans, ac, center console. Ralley sport interior trim with chrome kit. I did some research on the engine, it turns out to be a 1957 283. So the car is far from numbers matching, guess the next question is, whats it now worth. The car now has a 4spd with cowl hood. It does have the disc brake front, rear mount antenna and a few other options.
A few years ago I bought a 68 RS with the factory 327. Everything on the car was stock with the exception of the outside color, I paid $6500 for that car. But keep in mind that the car did have the original engine.
Back to square one !! what would be a reasonable offer. Like I said, the body is straight and there appears to be no rust. This new info sheds a whole new light on things.

Thanks a bunch guys.

[This message has been edited by k9_ken (edited 07-31-2002).]
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 10:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Still sounds like it is worth the 5K, you just aren't stealing it anymore.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 11:31 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Well said Charlie! Ken - go back and read the posts in your thread. I think everyone's in agreement that if indeed there is no rust and the body is straight it's a good price.. I caution you though just because you don't see rust doesn't mean it's not there. Have you poked the floor boards with a pocket knife to see how solid they are or checked for bondo and rust in the trunk under the mat? I'm not trying to turn you away, just hate to see a future thread about "the car was a pile of junk" after you've owned it a while... Good luck and be very cautious of the seller at this point...

------------------
...Dennis
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 12:13 PM
Jeff

Sounds like a good deal to me also. Word of caution though, crawl underneath the car and take a close look at the underside of the wheelwells. Also look good at the lower fender mounts. Are they clean (no Rust) are they solid. If they are rusted out I would place money that the front cowl panels under the fenders have had its share of leaves that have collected and rusted out the lower sections of the Cowl panel. I just had to replace the lower rear mounts and they are not easy to find ones in good enough shape to use. Again look top and bottom of the car. Best of luck, hope it works out for you.

------------------
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro/index.html
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 12:32 PM

Hi, you had mentioned in your reply to the other person about a cowl induction hood not being correct for an SS camaro.
I have an all original '69 SS Camaro with the 350ci 4-bbl carb which has the gutted cowl hood. (no induction parts installed).
I have been told by several other 69 Camaro owners that the empty cowl hood was an option in 69 inplace of the standard louvered panel hood on an SS.
Maybe I stand corrected.
Just curious if what I been told is true.
Thanks much, Ray.........

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 12:34 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Ray the cowl hood wasn't available on any car in '67..

------------------
...Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode