I installed the 76 colum in my 69 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

I did it with almost no welding. This is how. I took the 69 colum out took the part that bolts to the fire wall off and the part that bolts to the dash off. I then fliped the piece that bolts to the dash and bolted that on the 76 colum I had to open up the back two holes so it would bolt to the colum I did this so I could get an extra half inch between the colum and the box. I also unbolted the slide shaft from the colum this used to attach the colum to the box you dont need this piece. I then ground off the piece that used to attach the 76 colum to the fire wall and bolted on the one from the 69. I then ordered a universal from flaming River that was 1 inch 48 spline on one side and 3/4 by 30 spline on the other side. I then bolted everything together It fit perfect and looks great. The universal was $69.00. Its important to flip the piece that bolts to the dash because you need 1" 1/2 between the box and the colum if you dont the universal might bind. If anyone does this make sure you order the right universal my box is out of a 78 firebird but Flaming River has every combination universal e-mail me if you have any questions. The only thing I welded was the part on the colum that ataches to the trans I ground it off and tacked it in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech

What's the advantage of the 76 column? Does it have tilt and other nice options? Pics would be great.

------------------
Joseph

1969 Camaro
404 SB w/ 10.3:1 Eagle 4340 assembly in Dart Little-M block, AFR 210's, Crower #00350 short track solid cam 238/244 @ .050" on a 107 lobe center and .530" lift w/ 1.6 rockers, Holley 750 vac sec, Victor Jr., custom 1.75" headers, Spintech 2.5" exhaust with x-pipe and Sportsman XL mufflers, T-56, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch and billet flywheel, Guldstrand Mod., Landrum 600# front springs and adjustable spacers, Hotchkis 1.125" front bar, Detroit Eaton 175# rear springs, Bilstien shocks.
1971 Ford Bronco
Stock 302, 4" rock crawler suspension lift, 1.5" body lift, NP435 tranny, 4.11 gears, Detroit Locker rear diff., Power-Lock limited slip front diff., 33" BFG MudTerrain tires.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Yes it was a tilt colum I bought for $16 and the ignition was on the colum not like after market tilt colums.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 02, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech

pics please....

------------------
68'/SS Clone "teSSa"
88'/BMW 735i
90'/Camaro
74'/Green "turtle" Van...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode