Splash Shield - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok, I need a few final touches on the engine compartment....

How do the splash shields fit? Looks like they should have staples points towards tires and fit inside the wheel well (not into the engine compartment)

Am I right???

------------------
Steve
My Cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
Steve, This was discussed a few days ago, and I believe I read where like a lot of things you'll see it both ways. I placed mine underneath the A-arms and some just layed them on top. I personally thought they looked like they were cut and made to go underneath and not on top. I believe it gives them a neater appearance also.
Donnie...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 08:07 PM
Senior Tech

On my car the staples went through from the inside and had the tabs bent on the side towards the wheel.

On the same subject....... any tips to bending the staples ????? They are a real PITA to bend. I keep mutilating them and cant seem to get a good clean tight bend on both ends. Is there a special tool to do this right ????

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Needle nose pliers works for those staples. The stainless staples might be a bear but the carbon steel ones should be only medium frustrating and tedious. I solved the problem with a drill bit, Pop rivits and #8 washers. Not exactly factory but I only have to please myself.

-Mark.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
I cut some pieces of stainless steel wire to the proper length about the same size as the original staples that was strong enough but yet flexible enough to bend over on the back side to look and hold without any problem. When you look at them they actually look and hold like real staples and were very easy to work with and install.

------------------
1969 Z28, Fathom Green, DZ302, M20, 4:10, deluxe black and white houndstooth interior, PS, TW, AM/FM factory radio, console with gauges, comfort grip steering wheel.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 02:49 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I did most of mine with the inner fender off. But for the ones that go down by the subframe, I wanted to place them while on the car. I used dum dum on my finger, and threaded them through predrilled holes by sitting in the wheel well and reaching under the frame. Then I used needle nose pliers to bend them over.
You are right, it is a PITA, but part of the joy of the restoration.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

I tried to use the staples, but it was ridiculous trying to get them in and bent. I did the same thing that was mentioned above. I used wire that I cut to the length that I needed, drilled the original staple holes a little bigger and installed. The wire worked great!!! It was much easier to work with and looks exactly the same as the staples.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode