67 rs/ss convertible , how much should i pay? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

my father-in-law told me one of his workers has a 67 rs/ss convertible. supposedly all matching #'s ss 350.
he said the guy got an estimate and it would take $5,000 to get it "right". by right, i have no idea what that means or what the car needs. my father-in-law just retired so the guy that owns it is looking for a job and mentioned he has no money to fix it up and might would sell the car to my father-in-law. pop says he doesn't want to press the issue for fear the price might go up, but I've told him to find out what he could since I'm having no luck finding the wife that 69 firebird convertible she wants.
my ? is how much do you think the car would be worth. i know 'm not providing a whole lot of info. if i ever get to see the car, I'll post more. just wanted a ballpark figure of what the car might be worth (now or finished).
also if it's a ss 350, will it have a powerglide if auto, wasn't the turbo only on the 396? never had a car with a glide, how are they for street use?
see that ss includes special hood and ornaments, front header panel paint stripes (bumblebee?), underhood insulation, special nylon red stripe tires, 14x6 wheels, suspension features, fender SS emblems and SS emblems on radiator grille and gas filler cap;
while rs includes front valance mounted parking lights, electrically operated headlight doors, body lower side moldings, body side paint stripes (even withh the ss stripe?), front and rear wheel opening moldings, black painted taillight bezels, rear valance mounted back-up lights, special grille styling
if it's a rs/ss would it probably have any sort of deluxe interior and any other neat equipment that go with a rs or ss?
i would think that the 295-hp Turbo-Fire 350-cid engine that came in it would be pretty stout.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I would think a finished car would go for high teens to mid twenties but I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the '67-68 market. It would have the powerglide if it were an auto. If you don't like the 2-speed I believe a 350 Turbo is a direct bolt in. A powerglide isn't bad but I never cared much for them myself. The '67 RS cars have an electric motor for the hideaways instead of vacuum for the 68-69's.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech

Hard to say without knowing the condition. Based on the fact it may need 5K to fix it up I would guess 15K is about right, assuming it has no rust. Then put the 5K into it and most of the converts in really good shape go for 20K.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 10:53 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Be careful with estimates of how much it costs to "get it right" I thought I could do mine for $10,000........and it's more like $20,000.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 04:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
5 grand may cover part of a paint job if you're lucky.

Have you seen the car? What kind of body damage if any? Rust?

What about the mechanicals? Do you want to drive it a lot? Or just a weekend cruiser?

All this will affect whether it's a good deal or not.

------------------
68 Camaro ragtop, original 327, angle plug Camel humps, 202's, Performer, Holley 650 double pumper, Doug Thorley headers, 3-speed Saginaw, 3.08 posi, subframe connectors, Addco sway bar

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/cjkaram/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 12:07 AM
Senior Tech

A seller's estimate of repairs is often very low, even if you could do them yourself.
I'm looking at a 67 RS conv. Tuesday that needs fenders, paint and assembly (the rear and floors have been done). The guy wants $3,500 OBO. It doesn't have a 350 (327) and it is not an SS and is a powerglide.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

well, i still haven't seen the car. talked to my father-in-law and it says to wait and maybe he can come up with something in trade for the car. he has a rare 62 unibody ford pickup he could trade for the car. anyway, i was thinking of a $5000 to at most $10,000 for the car if cash is involved. for me to pay $10k, it would have to be in very good shape and not need much. supposed the $5000 estimate was from some sort of professional shop and not just a seat of the paints guess. I'll keep you informed if i ever get to see the thing. I'm in no hurry on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode