Ceramic coated headers rusting. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
My ceramic coated hedmans are showing signs of rust wanting to come thru after 4 years of running them. Is that a normal time frame for it to wear out? Doesn't seem right to me. Anyone else have the problem?

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Steve,that's about how long mine lasted
on my El Camino,but I live close to the
ocean.Most of the coating companies offer
a warranty..maybe you can give it a try.
Bob
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 06:17 PM

most of those upper end aftermarket headers that are coated like hooker should last 6 to 8 years without too much rusting, but even when they do rust over they have still been known to run very well.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I kinda thought mine were going prematurely. Thing that bugs me is it's never been driven in the rain or spent a winter outside. I don't get it. Got about 15K on them. Hmm.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 02:02 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
Sounds like I won't be wasting my money on those, if that's all the longer they last. Call the company. You never know what they might do for you.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 02:09 AM
Senior Tech

That's amazing! Only time shows that the overly hyped technology isn't quite what they say it is...

Same thing with those damn sealed batteries (not a one of mine lasted over 1 year).

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II, '79 L-82, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 09:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

The only decent warranty I see is Dynomax cerama-coats that have a lifetime warranty including rust. I'm looking at Jeg's where it says they have Jet-Hot coating. Is that Jet-Hot's normal warranty?

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I never paid any attention to the warranty issue I guess. For some reason I assumed they would last forever the way they've been hyped. This may be my last pair of coated headers too unless someone out there can guarantee them for a very long time. But what a hassle to pull them off, ship them, wait, pay too much, and then have to bolt them back on. Yuk!

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech
Ray

I called Summit after my Dynomax Lifetime warranty coated headers started rusting. And they said send them in and they would credit me the price I paid for them. I could use the credit for anything - same headers, different headers, or something else entirely.

That won't work next time though, because I modified them. The driver header hung down lower than the subframe, so I cut all four tubes and cut out about 1.125" and had them welded back up. Now they aren't the lowest point on the car anymore - no more dragging.

Ray

------------------
Ray

68 SS Convertible
Yellow - (77 Corvette)
383 w/DFI Fuel Injection
on MiniRamII intake,
Trick Flow heads
Tremec 5 sp, 3.31 12bolt Posi
Guildstrand Mod
AGR 12:1 power steering
Bent short steering arms
Baer 13" front brakes (Couldn't find time to make bracket for CBB)
550# Hypercoils with Landrum height adjusters

http://www.geocities.com/hrayhouston/
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 03:21 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

That's why I use Rustoleum BBQ black paint. $4.00 a can.

My painted Hedmans are 2 years old with 10,000 miles and have no rust.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Is it possible to run headers that have been powder coated? Would the coating live?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 01:37 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Stevo, I did the powder coating thing on my car. It worked out great on everything except the headers. Burned right off at startup. The POR-20 burned off too but the surface may have been contaminated by the earlier coating. They were sandblasted and still the coating burned off. I may go with the BBQ paint next time. This coating stuff rusting is ridiculous considering the price.

-Mark.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech

hey, the reason is poor prep at the makers, and they don't bake it long enough, along with none on inside, i bought my hooker comps uncoated, broke in my cam and then took them to NHTC in concord,NH to be ceramic coated, high lustre, they bead blast inside and out, then coat headers inside and out, exhaust is corrosive in it self so coating inside is a must for longevity, they have a special wand that has a tip that sprays 360' and it is flexible, 3 year garranty, have seen 3 sets over 10 years old and still looked great and polished perfect, i have not run mine but they look great, the manufacturers coatings are horible my black coating turned chalky and gross after 35 mins of running, plus there ceramic lately has been very bad, but goodluck
Jake
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I'm so used to the newer 93-2002 Camaros and Firebirds that hearing you guys complain about the coating only lasting 4-5 years stuns me. Most of the headers for these newer EFI cars are coated and none of them will last more than 1 or 2 years before rusting. But these newer cars run much hotter at the exhaust due to the EFI and leaner mixtures to pass emissions. Jet-Hot has a 3100 degree coating which is the only one that will probably last for 10 years or more. I'm surprised you got 4 years and 15K miles out of them. I'm getting my custom Stahl GM style headers coated by Jet-Hot because I most definitely don't want any rust on my $750 headers.

------------------
Jeff H - Hugger Orange 69 Z28, original factory JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored - 87 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Turbo
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 02, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech

the dynomax coated headers i used to have on my car were coated inside and out. looked beautiful for a couple years, then i noticed what looked like dirt on one tube. rubbed it off, and it turned out to be rust. i got 2 full summers on mine. the stuff is coming off in rather large chunks. tried to get ahold of Jet-Hot- like the sheet that came with the headers said to do for coating issues- and never got a response.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode