Donor for a radiator??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 02, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Does anyone have any ideas/experience with putting a late model rad from a truck or F-body into a first gen (or similar)? I just got a price on a new rad ($300+)and am looking for something that I could find at a junk yard. Got used rad for my 4x4 awhile back for $75. Anyone with any ideas what vehicles to look for??

Thanks
Robb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 02, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech
John

what kind of car is it for? I've got a two core from a '68 sitting in the garage if you are interested. [email protected]
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 02, 06:24 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Call a few rad shops in your area. You might be able to get yours re-cored for $100 - $150 American. They might even be able to go through your old core for for less...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 02, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sorry, forgot to mention that it was a 68. I don't have a rad to get re-cored, then one in the car when I bought it was from an early 60s car and haywired in.

Boodlefoof - thanks for the offer, but I'm hoping to go with a 3 or 4 core rad. Besides, shipping stuff into Canada can be a pain for both of us

Guess what I was wondering was the possibility of using a late model rad which may even be aluminum. I checked the old rad that came out of my truck and though it was too large, it was an aluminum rad with plastic ends. So I'm thinking that if I can find a donor like a Camaro, Mustang, S-10, etc.... I may have a cheap alternative.

Thanks for any help guys. I haven't been working on the car (or posting here) for a while, but it's time to get going. I'm sure you'll hear lots of questions from me in the next few months.

Thanks again
Robb
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 02, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just went to a local used auto parts store and had the guy take me to their rack of rads. I picked up an aluminum radiator from an 89 half-ton that measures 29 x 16. I'll have to make some mounting brackets top and bottom instead of up the sides, but it should be a perfect fit. Has anybody done this? Have I not just found a way to get an aluminum rad for cheap?

Robb

PS. It should provide enough cooling shouldn't it? The same rad keeps my truck cool hauling a 4000 pound trailer.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 02, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

You can get brand new for your 68' Camaro, SB or BB, from AutoZone:

#433337 3Row $165
#433330 2row $150

May not be the highest quality or as trick as an aluminum one but they are new!

------------------
Tom D.
1980 Z28 Dk. Blue
'65 327/350
'462'Ported Camel Backs
Crane Energizer 284(228*@.050/.480" lift)
ST-10 4-speed w/ Hurst Super Shifter 3
3:90 w Auburn posi
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 02, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Bowtie

I live in Canada. Double those prices and add 15% sales tax. Welcome to the land of the 60 cent dollar*&#@!

Robb
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 03:08 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Robb, gotten that radiator installed yet? How does it do on keeping it cool and do you have any pictures of the install?
Thanks!!

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice Wagon
'99 Venture Van
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

No, I haven't gotten to it yet. Still getting the front suspension in place and converting to a 700R4 trans. I have held it in place and it seems like a perfect fit. I think I will use a piece of U channel iron along the top and bottom of the rad to aid in mounting it. I will try to let you know how the install goes in a couple weeks. It'll be longer than that before I know how it cools.

Robb
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 04:39 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Keep us updated. By the way, are the dimensions you gave for the core or the entire radiator including tanks? Does it have provisions for an auto tranny? And are the tanks aluminum or plastic? Inquiring minds want to know LOL!

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice Wagon
'99 Venture Van
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 02, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The dimensions are for the entire rad. The core is aluminum and the tanks are plastic. The one that I got does have automatic tranny provisions. I have an electric fan from a 6 cylinder GM car (canít remember exactly), and itís shroud covers all but a half inch strip of the core on the sides.

Who knows if it will actually cool my 400???? It was so cheap that I had to give it a try. (Even to go mechanical fan, I need to buy the shroud, fan, etc) My Flowmaster American Thunder system should be in this week and once installed, the cam break in should tell me if itís all going to work.

Robb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode