Can One Run an Engine with a rocker arm removed? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 02, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a loud rocker, or lifter, and I need to isolate wich one it is. it is not at idle, and I have tried adjusting and re adjusting... I need to figure out wich one it is. can I remove one rocker, and pushrod and run the engine? or will the lifter fly out and cause probs? or am I forgetting about anything else? please help!
Thanks
-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 02, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech
John

You can remove a rocker arm and push rod without worrying about the lifter jumping out. The cam won't accelerate it fast enough. What you must do is kill that cylinder by removing the plug wire. I once broke a pushrod on the way home from a show and the car wouldn't run. I had no tools with me but I located which cylinder by removing a plug wire at a time and tryed to start the car after each removal. When I got to #7 the car started and ran rough as would be expected but I was able to get it off the freeway where I could check into the problem further.

Good luck,

John
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 02, 10:13 AM
Tech Team

Better yet, try using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope while its running. Then with the engine off remove rockers one at a time and check for galling and look through the pushrod to verify oil passage is clear. Then check the rocker stud for wear. If varnish is suspected in sticking lifter use a chemical flush and add Marvel Mystery Oil to crankcase. You can run the engine without the rocker and pushrod but you run the chance of launching the lifter into the valley and creating more work. Don't try it.

------------------
Steve

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 02, 04:50 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I just wanted to know. How do you know you just broke a pushrod when dirving? That way i know what to do if it ever happens to me.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 02, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

John....are the lifters hydralic or solids? At what RPM does it make noise? If it's hydralic, and teh RPM's are not real high, try this. Try to isolate which bank it is on. Pull the valve cover on that bank and using a long screwdriver, push down on each rocker (at the pushrod) hard. This will collapse the lifter and make it clatter. When you only hear one lifter, that is the problem cylinder. It's not the cleanest method, but it does work.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 02, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
John

Liquid40, I didn't know it was a broken pushrod until I got home and pulled the valve cover. I expected a broken rocker arm or pushrod because just before it broke I got a very load clatter in the valve train. When it broke the noise went away but the car began running very rough and it would pop through the carb. when I pulled over it wouldn't idle and then it wouldn't start. At least not until I killed the bad cyclinder by pulling the plug wire.

John
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 02, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Its Hydraulic, the noise gets louder with rpm. I cant hear it much at idle, my loap is pretty good, and with headers, the thin pipe lets off some tick noises.

so I would need to basicly match the speed of the rocker with my hand and a screwdriver?

-John

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Codi:
John....are the lifters hydralic or solids? At what RPM does it make noise? If it's hydralic, and teh RPM's are not real high, try this. Try to isolate which bank it is on. Pull the valve cover on that bank and using a long screwdriver, push down on each rocker (at the pushrod) hard. This will collapse the lifter and make it clatter. When you only hear one lifter, that is the problem cylinder. It's not the cleanest method, but it does work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by 67electro (edited 08-16-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode