Buying 68 camaro plezz help!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 02, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

please help me i found a 68 camaro for sale, anyways he was selling it for 8000, i offered him 7000 no big thing i already have a 67, anyways i looke at it and it is all stock 327, it has cruz control he says it works at about 60mph and needs an ajustment his wipers work and he says it does push water out to wash the windows he has a stock 327 and the body is in real good shape, his interior is in good shape little tears here in there but everthing is intact, all his electrical works as i turned on everything, his frame is in good shape with all the emblems he has a vinal top that he says he replaced a while back, his antenna was leaning a little nut thats really nothing his paint is kind of fadded and is pealed in small sections, i turned the car over and it didnt seam to miss or anything i put my hand at the back tail pipe to see if it would put put like it didnt and the engine seamed to keep a steady idle, i also asked if i could get the car checked out!! is this car worth the 7, grand?? i am afraid because i got my 67 for 2500 back in 96 it needed practically everything except the engine, i have a 70 1/2 sitting in a parking lot, it runs good but needs alot of electrical work with suspention work so i would say to restore it the 70 camaro would probally cost at least 5000 to restore and i have been told that the 68 is more valuable to have not to be negative against the 70 body style, i think the 68 is all original it definetely looks that way with no modifications and the guy says he bought it from the previous owner that had it for over 20 years, i dont know much about having a car in original condition my 67 has all kinds of modifications, i think he says the 68 has a power glide transmission anyways please help, my wife says why not keep the 67 and 70 and fix them up, my 67 only needs a better paint job but my 70 man is way off and besides dont people like the 67 68 and 69 the best please help god bless you all, please dont think i hate the 70 it was my first car but after i bought the 67 i forgot all about the 70 1/2 the 60's just look better anyways god bless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 02, 06:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Well, what really matters is what you think. The 68 will have a better return on your money from a investment standpoint. Worth much more than the 70 will ever be. But, do YOU like the 70. I'm building a 72 RS knowing I'll probably never see the money I've put in it if & when I ever decide to sell. But I like the body style, I love the body style. I want the car. If you don't want the 70, sell it.
Is the 68 worth 7K? I would have to be there looking at it with ya. Sounds like it may be. The one your looking at is 7K, yesterday there was one for 4K, tomorrow it'll be 9K.
Can you post a pic?

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 02, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

yes i should swing buy and take a digital pic of it then that woulod help how would i get it on this site though, yes its a matter of prefference i like the 70 camaro and actually its faster than my 67 i think it has a better rear end than my 67, i like the round tail lights but the body my wife says reminds her of a shark probally meaning the front nose clip besisdes i dont think i could get much for my 70 and yes the return on a 68 probally will be more especially when they stop making camaros

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 02, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech
John

To put it bluntly...do not buy the car. From your post, it is obvious that you do not have the expertise to restore this car properply. This is not a knock on you, but if you have a '70 that you like, why not restore that? Of course, you can buy what you want, but realize that a top dollar first gen car will be # matching original vehicle.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 12:48 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Sounds like a good deal to me, But I wouldn't recomend anyone to buy a car as an investment. I think that if you like it buy paint it drive it. (not to say that it won't go up in value), but you always seem to be putting money in them so after owning a car for years it comes to push. But you get the satisfaction of driving a classic car that will make everyone look and you smile. both cars are really nice, you can't go wrong..speedy....
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

i dont think you understand me, i have had the 70 camaro since i was 16 years old, it was my first car, i have carshed it several time to where their will be alot of money to get the car back to a good condition as the blue book says at least 5 grand to 7 grand,
the car looks ok but has alot of suspention work and some crack head in hollywood california broke into it and took my radio, in the process my dash was kicked in so badly that my gages and everything dont work, i dont know how fast im even moiving which by the way is against the law, anyways i have never been able to fix the problem i replaced the dash and found some gages even tried changing the gear out didnt work, it has many oil leaks, and quite frankly i bought a 67 after that a few years later and man i replaced door panels, put in new interior fixed a ton of problems that i wont list but i feel happy because the 67 just has a totally different feel and look to it, why not buy the 68 especially when it is right now i would say it is in good blue book value, i had the car checked out at a chevy dealer with them cahrging 2 hrs labor and except for the valve cover gasket leaking and maybe the points needing adjustment along with the cruz controll also needing adjustment this car runs good, so why not junk the 70 camaro, sell it i could get 2 grand for it the way it is, i drove it from california to indiana and im not afraid to drive it to alaska right now it drives and runs good but it needs to much work to restore it, to make it look good well that would only take 5000 tops but still i would give it cheap to a young energetic kid looking for a hoby just to clear the title and expense god bless
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 04:45 AM
Senior Tech
John

on the '68, what kind of tranny does it have and is the 327 the LF7 (210 horse) motor or the L30 (275 horse)? What kind of mileage? Has the engine/trans/rear been rebuilt? If it is a base model LF7 with say a powerglide tranny... I think that 7k might be a little high... If it has a manual trans that is a plus, and if it has a four speed that is a big plus. If say this were an L30 engine with M20 4 speed transmission car, I would say it is a very good deal assuming the body is as straight as it appears... otherwise, just an average deal.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 09:13 AM
Senior Tech

Opinions are great. Everybody has their own ideas and it can really help you if you are wanting to buy a classic Camaro for an investment or as a fun classic to drive and enjoy. It can also make a decision harder when you want something but you are afraid you will make the wrong choice. Step back and look at what you think you want to do, and then make your decision. If you are wanting a Camaro for investment and not to drive and enjoy, then you really have to be careful when you buy something. You seem to be making your decision based on money you will have to spend. Anyone who is into Camaros or any classic can tell you, even though money is always an issue, once you get on the road, you stop worrying about it and just keep spending it!! All opinions help, but you need to do what you want to do.
And remember, this is just another opinion too! Good luck.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

it has the original 327 with a power glide transmission, i want to somehow send you guys the pictures of it, i just took pics today remember i live in indiana any vehicle in half way good shape with no rust from snow is worth bucks out here so anyways how do i link the photo here if i cant do it i will put a www.geocities web page address here so please help god bless you all!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Banned

OK EVERYONE PLEASE GOTO TO THIS SITE, www.geocities.com/abayachi2/68camaro4sale.html thanx double click it should take you there!!! then return and tell me what ya think is it worth it??

[This message has been edited by knightmoose2000 (edited 08-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by knightmoose2000 (edited 08-18-2002).]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 03:42 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

That is about the same kind of shape my 68 was in when I bought it, at least the body. Mine had a near-perfect original interior and 71,000 original miles. The only diff was I had a 6 cylinder engine. I paid $5000 for mine which is probably on the high side. $7000 isn't too bad, especially if the car is straight and rust-free.

ps. it would be easier to understand your posts if you use periods to separate your thoughts into individual sentences.

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 08-19-2002).]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 05:26 AM
Senior Tech

Whew...438 words in that first sentence. I used to have a girl friend that talked like that!

If the car looks as good as the photos show, I think it is worth it.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Davis:
Whew...438 words in that first sentence. I used to have a girl friend that talked like that!

If the car looks as good as the photos show, I think it is worth it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, my head is spinning too.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 02, 03:09 PM
Senior Tech
Roy

My advice... if you have the money, time and space to store it. Buy it at $7,000. I think it's a no brainer... (period) (period) (period)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 02, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech
frank

From what the picture shows, it looks o.k. to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode