the buy/sell portion of the site - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 02, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Do many of you conduct business through the "For Sale" and "Wanted" listings on this site? I'm interested in a few things, but am awfully paranoid, since there aren't levels of control like what's in place on Ebay or Amazon or something. What method do most of you use to secure your money or your parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 02, 01:00 PM
Senior Tech

I have sold items to members through ads on this site. I asked for a cashier's check and upon receiving sent out the parts. I know this required some trust on the buyer's part and unfortunetly can not offer any ideas on how to make the buyer more comfortable sending money to "stangers".

Joseph
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 02, 04:49 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I have bought several items from different folks here. Never had any problems. I feel better buying from a fellow car guy here, even if don't know them.

just my .02

joe

------------------
69 Rat-Infested Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/joeg/

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 02, 10:57 PM
Senior Tech

The first thing I check when I log on is the for sale pages. I to have bought several parts listed on those pages without any trouble at all. There are no guarantees, however.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 12:42 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

It is "buyer beware" on these boards. I know of at least one unhappy transaction going on right now. Buyer is mad because he got shipped some misrepresented junk, seller might not return the money. The situation may end up with both parties back close to where they were before they started minus shipping but that seems to be just a possibility. Sellers can misrepresent parts and as buyers, you do not have any recourse. Nobody is the policeman here. I have personaly had a few very good experiences and thankfully no bad ones but buyers are clearly at a disadvantage. They can ship you a brick in a box if they want. Go ebay if at all possible.

-Mark.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 01:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I have bought and sold maybe a half dozen small parts thru here. No problems except when the seller didn't know exactly what he had or I didn't know exactly what I needed. Can't blame the board for that though. Live and learn
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 01:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

My experiences have been positive. I've sold and bought. Like any transaction, there's always the potential for abuse but I must say I'm satisfied.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 05:29 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Al takes the ads very serious and if he gets wind of a dispute between buyer and seller he takes notice and puts forth an effort to help resolve the issue. If the seller doesn't make good he gets banned from posting more ads. Use common sense, USPS money orders, get pictures and ask lots of questions.

If the seller is too busy to respond or is short with you before the sale go else where and let him know why you are doing so!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 05:31 AM
Senior Tech
John

I have sold a few pieces on the for sale page, never bought anything though. I just ask for certified funds when selling. Have always dealt with real nice people.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 10:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Mark
Now you let the cat out of the bag! I have to say my hat is off to Dennis and Al. My first EMOTIONAL response was to blast this guy all over Team Camaro. Al does take a very positive approach to these issues. Like they say on the news "This case is still under investigation so No Comment until the jury has finished".The person selling is not (to the best of my knowledge) a member of these threads, he is just taking advantage of the free advertising.

Mark and Dennis are both right, ask lots of questions and don't assume anything. Most people are trying to sell and may not give the full story unless ask directly about this or that.
There is still a chance I might get my money back so I'm not going to rock the boat now.

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 12:11 PM
Jeff

I have bought from the Team Camaro For Sale pages and have not had one neg outcome. Guess I would rather buy from the guys here then E-bay since most likely the moneies sent out will help someone else with their project.

------------------
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro/index.html
http://www.hawaiianislandcamaros.org
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech

I echo Jeff's sentiments. I have not had a bad experience here, either as buyer or a seller. However, there have been a couple of times I've passed up a part due to lack of or an inadequate response by the seller to questions I had asked. Also, there was once a "communication" problem, but was resolved quickly and amicably by myself and the seller.

The site operators/moderaters do an excellent job monitoring Camaro Tech and the vast majority of the folks using this site are honest, knowledgeable Camaro enthusiasts and that's the kind of people I want to support.

As stated in an earlier post: do your homework, ask good, specific questions and if the deal feels "funny", it probably is.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Wow, a lot of responses!
I don't know that I'm 100% comfortable, but this goes a long way towards making me feel better. Thanks, guys.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Paypal is the way to pay for stuff. I can pay someone....anyone and if the transaction goes bad Paypal will assist. You can put the money in escrow until the goods are received......It's too easy and safe not to use.

I bought some parts from an independent party and they screwed up and shipped to the wrong address. I couldn't get a hold of them so I called paypal. They immediately yanked the funds from that persons account and contacted the person to find out what the problem was. In a very short time everything was resolved....I had my parts they had their money. If that would have been a cashiers check, I would have been SOL!!

[This message has been edited by paulm (edited 08-23-2002).]
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 02, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech

very good site to buy or sell , I sold a 67 camaro here in 99 and few little part's , had one bad trade , it was all a misunderstanding and I guess you will run into stuff like that sometime's , just be carefull ,

------------------
69 camaro traded for 67 camaro traded back for 69 now back with a 67 rs WILL IT NEVER END ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I HOPE NOT .
ADVENTURE'S IN RUST REPAIR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode