Recommendations for a new shop - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I'm starting to develop plans for a new shop and would like some input. It will be a detached building set about 50' from the house. I want to use it for body work and paint as well as mechanical. I'm totally new to body & paint work so I don't have a clue what to plan for. I'm thinking 24x32 with 10' walls. Walls and ceiling drywalled with a single 12' x 8' overhead garage door.
What kind of electric capablitity should I plan for? Should I consider floor drains and water supply? (I'm on 3 1/2 acres with my own well and septic). I do have to meet some subdivision regulations.
I think a floor lift would be too expensive but I have seen a hoist system up in the attic that I might plan for.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hope this is in the right forum. If not move it where it belongs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 03:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I would minimally put in 100 amp service, put some 220 outlets in as well as the normal 110. Put outlets waist high on the walls so you don't have to bend, skip floor drains as they will clog over time, put some outlets in the ceilings for things like drop lights, garage door opener. I have 10" ceiling and I would do 12' if I ever do another. A lift is about $3K and well worth it. If you can afford it, build the largest shop you can afford. I did a 24X28 and am not putting a 12X20 addition on it. I'm sure more will chime in with great ideas.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 03:50 AM
Retired
Jim

My garage is 24 deep to, but Id suggest going at least 26 or preferably 28 deep. With work bench, shelving, etc that 24 will seem very small in a hurry. If you consider heating the shop, use Wirsbo in slab tubing heated with a Gas water heater that also heats your hot water for your wash sink. Expensive but oh so nice in winter when you are on your back on the slab.
Also do a search in Bench section for 'garage' and you will find several very long posts with tons of ideas just like what you are looking for.
good luck, and build as big as you can afford.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 04:27 AM
Tech Team

That's right, build it as big as you can afford because it will fill up. And above all be sure to put an A roof or gabled roof with plenty of slope. Take it from me, I found out the hard way about that. Leaks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 04:45 AM
Senior Tech

Definitely put in a sink, that has hot water. And since you need plumbing to do that, you might as well put a toilet out there as well (you don't have to put it in a room by itself, just get one of those cheap folding walls).

Heating & Air conditioning. A good ventilation system for when you are painting. A dehumidifier as well.

If you aren't going to put a drain in floor, think about slope of the floor for drainage when you do damp down the dust.

High enough ceilings to put a lift in. Or another way is to make a pit in the floor so that you can walk under the car.

Shelves on at least 2 walls, with a work bench all along each of those walls. If your ceiling is high enough for a lift, then towards the back of the garage you can build upper level storage space.

Some people put their air compressor in a little room on the outside of the garage (noise reasons). With temperature differental between the garage and outside that can lead to condensation in the lines. I have mine in the garage, but it can be noisy.

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe

[This message has been edited by djunod (edited 08-23-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode