Hot floors - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 02, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

What to use on floors to keep heat and noise out?Anyone using Dynamat Xtreme?Or know of anyother product to use.Would like to here what your using and if your happy with it.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 12:55 AM
Senior Tech

I used Xtreme dynamat for the 69 and then went back with gluing carpet foam down. That really insulated the heat and noise.

I went to Lowes for cheap carpet pad and glued it down with 3M General Adhesive. I do that in every car that I build, comes from the rod building I do.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 02:13 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
are you saying that you use both? or do you just use carpet padding?

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 03:16 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
As far as the heat goes, are your exhaustpipes and muffler/s too close to your floors?... should have a air gap and heat sheilds.The last thing you want is to be cruising down the road and have your carpet catch fire.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.

[This message has been edited by DOUG G (edited 08-28-2002).]
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 05:11 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I used Dynamat Extreme on the floorpan and added a layer of Dynamat Extremeliner in the footwells. The front piece of carpet fits a little loose, but you can't tell with the floormats in place.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 6/10/02 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech

Spames.....I use Super Dynamat in the foot wells and tranny hump, then cover the whole thing in 3/8" carpet padding. The carpet padding seems to give the carpet a nice fit and feel plus insulates heat and sound. My 69 is a convertible without chambered pipes, but mufflers tucked up as close as I can get them.

I have headers on the 69 and they flow back close and parallel to the foot drop. This completely takes care of the problem. I have been doing interiors for all kinds of muscle cars, street machines and street rods and use this method profusely. Nary a complaint.

------------------
STEVE JACK
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 08:08 AM
Senior Tech

Oh Lord....you folks are paying too much for reduced noise and heat.Try looking at www.b-quiet.com at what they have to offer.They have this product called "brown bread" that outperforms anything by Dynamat.It cost less too.This stuff works awsome.If you order some it takes a few day to get there....these people are in Canada but well worth the wait.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 09:55 AM
Guess

Looks like a good product Tom. And you're right, it's a lot less expensive.

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
HwyStar's Garage!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 10:33 AM

Take a look here......
http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/108/html/3224.html

Under "Adhesive-Back Damping Sheets" - "
3-Ply Aluminum" is basically the same specs, but even cheaper.

Ken

[/B][/QUOTE]

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech

Also look at this stuff: http://www.raamaudio.com/
the slightly cheesy website belies the fact that the Raamat product is very good indeed. I have Brown Bread and Raamat and prefer the latter, although they are both very good. The guy who seels the Raamat is very good to deal with too.
Dynamat is far too expensive. If you visit any car audio boards where people use this stuff a lot, you'll find the Raamat and Brown Bread names coming up a lot.

-Andy
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech

Man, it's great to hear about this. I have spent the last year trying to find a good product to deaden the sound and Dynamat was just too expensive. Thanks guy's.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech

I did a bunch of reading around on this earlier in the year after asking here and getting no feedback. The car audio boards are the place to look. They are full of the wiggedy-wack, baggy pants brigade but they do know a bit about this stuff. I managed to chat with a couple of installers and got a few pointers along the way. The best way to use this stuff on floors is really with layers of the Brown Bread/Raamat/Dynamat whatever on the sheetmetal and then layers of insulating foam on top. The mat is a deadener not primarily a soundproofing material. The foam is there to absorb sound.
Gene - gheatley has posted on here about using this combination quite recently. Foam with a combination of closed and open cells is supposed to be the best. Rick at RaamAudio recommended 1/4" or 1/2" Insulite foam from Keyston.Bros. http://www.keystonbros.com/index2.html

Also if you are looking for foam try the place ken/klarue mentioned - McMaster-Carr. They have lots of different types.I like the look of the Adhesive Based Foam #8614K61. Search for that number and you can look at the catalogue page.
Here are a couple more links you might find useful:
General tips: http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~bplesn/sounddead.html http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~ccun...xima/damp.html

Cascade. Good stuff but a bit more pricey than Raam/B-quiet stuff. http://www.mmxpress.com/cascade/cascade.htm http://www.cascadeaudio.com/

-Andy

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 02, 01:30 AM
Senior Tech

Ah, er....well, I think we started this thread with heat reduction and not necessarily sound insulation, but the information is great!

The Super dynamat keeps heat down better than any other products that I have seen or tested. The others may be more accoustically productive, but you will sweat to the oldies with out a dense heat reflective barrier. I do agree that some of the others are better sound dampners etc.

BTW, buy the Dynamat from Summit Racing or Jegs...the best prices there.

I like some of the other adheasive foam products that were pointed out. I use cheap carpet foam insulation, and I think I will try some other products even tho they will be far more expensive than what I am doing now.

------------------
STEVE JACK

[This message has been edited by HOTRODSRJ (edited 08-30-2002).]
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 02, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech

Ok, getting back on topic a bit more, both the Brown Bread and Raamat products have an Aluminium layer like the Dynamat Super and Extreme and should act in like fashion. B-quiet have just started selling a product called Hliner which is sold as a heat shield layer. I think Cascade make something similar too.
theres also this stuff, but I've no idea how much it costs: http://www.quietride.com/heat_sheild.html

-Andy

[This message has been edited by withnail (edited 08-30-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode