69 Hurst Shifters - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Were there different factory Hurst shifters used with or without a console on the 69 Z-28’s? I am trying to install a Hurst with the 3138 number stamped on it and it will not clear the factory hole in the floor enough to catch reverse. The car is pretty low mileage and still has the factory undercarriage paint on the hole that looks like it was cut through from the bottom with a cutting torch. It also looks like if I was to open up the hole some I then would run into the same problem with the insert from the console. Any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Same shifter, with or without console.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 12:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Just curious.. does that shifter bolt to the side of the tailhousing or use the big U bolt around the end of the tailhousing and a bracket that goes under the motor mount?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 01:38 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

If you do not have all the correct factory pieces, the shifter will be in the wrong place. I suspect your tranny tailhousing is wrong or the mounting bracket is wrong. It will matter if you have a small block or a big block as well.

-Mark.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 03:04 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Factory shifters bolt to a bracket that bolts to the tailhousing. As mentioned previously, the small block engine sits in the centerline of the car, so it uses a small bracket. The big block engine is offset to the passenger side, to allow clearance on the steering gear. So the bracket is longer, to bring the shifter back to the correct position. As a side note, since the shifter is now more outboard of the tranny, the big block shifter uses slightly different shifter linkage.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 03:05 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Factory shifters bolt to a bracket that bolts to the tailhousing. As mentioned previously, the small block engine sits in the centerline of the car, so it uses a small bracket. The big block engine is offset to the passenger side, to allow clearance on the steering gear. So the bracket is longer, to bring the shifter back to the correct position. As a side note, since the shifter is now more outboard of the tranny, the big block shifter uses slightly different shifter linkage.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

I believe I have all the right parts to mount the shifter. I have the factory “9 hole” mounting plate which bolts to the tail shaft with the factory bolts. I did cruise ebay after I posted this yesterday and there is a shifter on there that looks like its what I need. That one has a 45 degree bend coming up from the shifter body to were the handle mounts. I think with that offset I would be OK. The shifter that I have does not have this offset. I can send a picture of mine if someone needs to see it. I wish I knew how to add the link to that picture on ebay. Now my question is how many different 3138 shifters are there, and what do I have?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 03:53 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

If your shifter doesn't have the offset where the handle attaches it's wrong. The offset is unique to the first generation Camaro'
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

After reading Unreals reply, is there a different shifter for a big block? If the transmission were offset then I think this would work. The shifter has 3138 stamped on it. It also has "570922D" as well as the Hurst patent numbers. I am assuming D=April, 22=day, 9=1969, but I could be wrong.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 04:47 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

BB and SB shifters are the same, as is with console and without console. BB uses a different mounting bracket and linkage rods.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Check out these pictures, it may be of some help http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1854288310
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Heres another! hope this helps http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1854675481

[This message has been edited by Mr. C (edited 08-29-2002).]
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The big block shifter assy is the same as the SB but the linkage and bkt are different. 3138 is correct but if you do not have the offset arm, someone has rebuilt it with aftermarket or non-Camaro specific parts. The factory stick does not use the 2 bolts to attach to the shifter. If you have 2 bolts holding the shifter stick on, it has definately been switched. Factory is a push in style attachment.

-Mark.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Nick

Mark,
What is the trick to getting the shifter tower loose from a factory shifter?
Thanks in advance,
Nick

------------------
69 Z/28 X77 D80 83700 original miles,DZ 302, M-21, BU 3:73 Rear End, ZL-2 Ducted Hood, Daytona Yellow, Black Deluxe, Tilt, Factory AM/FM, Console Gauges.
69 Z/28 X33 D80 Fathom Green, Trim 723, Protect o Plate Original 302 MIA M-20, BU 3:73 Rear End,Console Gauges
68 SS/RS 396 owned for 22 years
68 SS/RS Clone Drag Car,"The Evil Twin" Best run 10.39 @ 129.87
http://community.webshots.com/user/x77d80
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

My shifter has the push in style round handle that is shown in the Camaro assembly manual. The one I am removing has the flat handle that is bolted on, aftermarket shifters also have the front and rear stop bolts on the shifter housing. My guess might now be a past rebuild of the shifter with the wrong piece installed. Lots of the parts inside had numbers stamped on them. Anyone know what should be the right number for that offset handle attachment part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode