what year is worth more 67.68,59.70 71???? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

what years are worth more for investment, is a 67 worth more than a 70 1/2 or is a 68, 69 model worth more? also if the paint code is R2 and this stands for Madadore red does changing the color of the car bring down the value, there are 3 cars 4 sale where i live a 70 a 67 and a 68 which one will bring the most money, i do king of like the 1st generation and the 67 looks alot like the 68, but is the 70 worth more please help im frustrated...

[This message has been edited by edawg (edited 08-29-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 04:34 PM
Tech Team

I would have to say the 59, I never saw one.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

The 59 was an early concept model. It was ahead of it's time so GM brought it back in 67 .

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech

I think the 67 or 68 will be worth more than a 70 if all three cars are in exact same condition and all are the same for options, rarity etc. look on e-bay and compare 70's to 1st gens and see what is being bid on them. if one of the 1st gens has a four spd, it may bring a little more money also. as far as investments in general, put your money into real estate and buy camaros as a hobby or for love of the car because you can most likely recover your cash that you may put into one, but to buy one today with the idea that it's a big money maker will probably only happen if you hang onto it for a number of years. that said, which is only my opinion, figure out which car is in the best condition and has the best option combo for what you want or upgrades (if it isn't original) and compare prices against what it will cost to get it in the kind of shape you want. if they need any work done to them, make sure you know what's involved so you don't get discouraged and spend way more than you wanted to. put all the info here and you'll probably start a good debate.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech

I'm a strong believer that a car should not be bought as an investment. That's what stocks and mutual funds are for. People are always asking me what my Camaro is worth. I don't know and I don't care. To me it's priceless. The art of buying cars, jacking up the price and reselling them just makes it harder for those of us who like them to get them. I bought mine in '86 and have never even considered selling it. My first choice was a '70 Chevelle SS which I missed because the bank wouldn't give me four grand for a car that old. I had to get a cosigner after a heated discussion with a bank rep for the $4,500 I needed to buy the Camaro. If I could find another deal on a Chevelle I would still keep the Camaro. Maybe it's me, but some people just don't get it. Damn that felt good.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech

A car as an investment? What a joke. Not unless you are talking about a real collectors items, where there is only 1, 2 or even 5.

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by djunod:
A car as an investment? What a joke. Not unless you are talking about a real collectors items, where there is only 1, 2 or even 5.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> There can be way more then that to be a investment. But to an investor it is just an object to make money. If you buy a plain jane 6 cyl. camaro for lets say $2500 and are able to sell it $5000 2 months later to someone you clearly made a very good investment.But ofcourse all eyes are pointed at the very expensive one like a ZL-1, but as prices for those cars are going up so will the more regular models.

I think most people on this board are not crazy about the idea of others just buying classic cars for the sole reason to make money, because most of them don't share the passion they do for their car.

For your original question about wich one is worth more. All things being equal the first gen cars are worth more then the second gen, but overall condition and rarity of a specific car determine the price most.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech
TJ

Oh but that '59... wow that oughtta be worth something
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 02, 01:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I might have to disagree with you guys on a 1st gen not being an investment. First of all, if you're talking about selling within a year it's considered speculating, not investing. if you're speculating then you just have to know your cars and find the good buys. I agree with y'all I don't appreciate the guys driving the price of our cars up that way.
But if you're going to hold onto one, I bet the average price of a 1st gen has beat the stock market in the long run. Especially if the market continues like it has for the past year. The real rub as far as investments go is whether you can just hold onto it without sinking more into it. That's where we lose our shirts.
The greatest advantage though of it even possibly being considered an investment is that it's a good excsue to convince the wife to spend some disposable cash on it
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 02, 01:59 AM
Senior Tech

Gotta agree with what everyone is saying but it would depend on what the car was. One of my friends from high school bought a 70 1/2 split bumper Z-28 with the M-22(rock crusher) transmission for $2200.00 in 1973. He still has the car with 36K on the speedometer. There were less than 300 of these cars made with the options he has. I saw one recently selling in Florida for the asking price of $36,000.00. So which is worth more, a first generation or a 70'? See what I mean ?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 02, 02:16 AM
Senior Tech

Interesting subject and how everyone looks at them differently. I buy or build my cars for both investment and fun. I have never lost money on one and in fact most of my cars return about 15% compounded a year without regard to my labor when I get rid of them. Of course you can't go crazy with out of bounds parts etal or changes that people simply do not want and you can't beat them up either. It's like a savings account really, you can turn these cars for cash pretty quick if you know where to go and look.

I look for muscle cars that are convertibles because there is a big demand for these vehicles right now that goes with the general trend of convertibles in the OEM market. I do NOT do original restorations (nothing wrong with that tho..) because more attention and demand to creature comforts, reliability,looks and driveability than originality. I do hybrids of modern accouterments with older cars and looks. My wife's 69 ragtop has a combination of old and new. Perfect original body, 400+hp motor that is very drivable with coooooold air, four speed (that was a mistake!...soon to be changed), all black leather interior with carbon fiber garnishes (no original had that), killer stereo (difficult to do in a convertible), upgraded four wheel disc brakes, huge sway bars, poly suspension upgrades,.....not a numbers correct anything on this car, and yet I have been offered many times, alot more than any stock convertible would bring simply becasue of its content. Some of you may have seen this car at a show under the Classic Chevrolet International or The Paddock tents as a demonstation vehicle. It's driven to every event it attends....that's the fun part.

Someone mentioned stocks.... I think these are far more better investments than stocks are right now FWIW and you are hearing that from a guy who IPOed a public company in the early 90s and did very well with stocks/options thank you very much. Not going back there at 50 years young! But, you have to pick your cars carefully just like any investment.

The first gen cars are bringing more for the dollar spent (ROI) and demand for these are outstripping the others. Just ask your favorite Camaro parts supplier what he is selling. And, oh by the way, I do marketing analysis in these markets for manufacturers and vendors, so my professional research tells me this too. Cars from 1955 to 1971 are hot right now and are very good investments when purchased correctly. My brother-in-law throws about 10k at golf each year (fees, equipment and travel) with nothing to show but a smile on his 4 handicap face and pictures to boot, and that's okay. I throw 10K at a car and expect to have fun all summer with it and then get 18% when I turn it. What a country!

I like going to the auctions to find a nice piece. I recently passed on a 71 Challenger convertible that could have easily spent another 5K or so and gotten 40K on a 25K investment in a year....That's pretty good. I could kick myself for not being as educated on Mopars as I should...lost money because of it! You can do the same with first gen Camaros as long as the market and demographics (guys my age with some extra cash to spend) support it....and it will continue.

I have a friend that does nothing but mostly muscle cars (Frasier Dante) and he moves these like they are McDonalds french fries.

Just my tooooooooooooo long take.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 02, 03:05 AM
Senior Tech

I think the 72 Z28 convertible is worth the mostů

------------------
Geezer
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 02, 03:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Can't be worth more than that 68 Z28 convertible
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 07, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech

Re: what year is worth more 67.68,59.70 71????

You do know you replied to an almost 5 year-old post, right?

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 07, 08:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Re: what year is worth more 67.68,59.70 71????

No, but I do now! I was on another thread and went to the bottom for the other similar threads and didn't look at the date. That will be funny to others now and to me....someday.

1968 Z28 British Green, all original except CE 302 engine. Have original owners booklet and protect-o-plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode