69 X66 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 02, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Need a little information from some tech guys, car has 140 speedo 7000 tach that yellows at 5200 or 5500 factory A/C but has small block evaporator Power Windows, Deluxe Interior. This is just a body it appears like someone has changed some parts it does not seem to add up, need some help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 02, 04:59 PM
Senior Tech

If you post your body tag info and vin# someone might be able to help. A possible COPO car. Or you can try post on this site,http://www.yenko.net
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 02, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

of course anything is possible, but the A/C, would make me believe it is not a COPO. (No A/C with any solid lifter car, in 69) It's quite a chore to convert a non-A/C firewall and cowl to an A/C one--especially if the car has not had a frame off restoration.

More likely, it was a big block (X66) and the evaporator was replaced. As the big block evap is not readily available, most auto parts stores, including AC Delco stores, list the same evap for s/b r b/b. Someone probably just replaced the evap core with what was readily available.(You can get a correct reproduction b/b evap core from Old Air Products, in Ft. Worth)

I'll bet the evap box is still big block. look for a bracket, or holes from where one used to be, on the inside half (toward the engine)

The 140 speedo throws me, as it was only available in the COPO1937 "sports car conversion" which include an 11/16 sway bar and 15" rally wheels. To my knowledge, it was not available separately from COPO9560 or 1561(probably why resto4u was thinking COPO) The tach is correct for 325 or 350 horse 396, and A/C was available with either. I'd measure the sway bar. I'd also look for evidence of single fuel line, which would indicate L78 (396/375) or L72 (COPO 427/425) Vapor return line would indicate L35 or L34 (396/325 or 396/350)
Check these things and report back. Then we can continue this "detective work"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 02, 05:00 AM
Senior Tech
William

Tach, speedo & body tag all reproduced.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 02, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Right William, almost anything is available aftermarket, or donor car. That's why I said for an unrestored car (he said "just a body"). The likelyhood of someone going to the trouble of changing tags, tach, etc, etc, etc, and not restoring the car is slim. If I were going to all that trouble to fake a car to make it more valuable, I'd find the correct date coded block, and restamp it, too.

Reread my post......the 9737 sway bar is 13/16, not 11/16. Don't know where my head was..the 11/16 is sotck for Plain Jane, Z/28, and all SS.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 02, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unreal and William the car has been sitting for many years I know the guy has had the car for a least five or so years, I may be wrong but I do not think the cowl tag has been changed I looked at the rivets good. But some of the stuff just does not add up on the car. This guy has had Camaro's for probably 25 years. What do you think the car would be worth it needs both quarters,floors,trunk pan,and all front sheet metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode