69 convertible top well chrome trim removal - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

How do you remove the exterior chrome trim that surrounds the convertible top well? This is the trim that the top boot clips onto. I don't see any screws on the underneath side. Does it just unsnap?

------------------
Larry W.
1969 Z11 Pace Car
My Pace Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech
William

There is a very small screw under the molding in each corner. I think there is one on each end also.

When the screws have been removed it can be pulled off the retaining clips. The clips may come off with the molding; don't re-install it that way. Install the clips on the the body, snap the molding over them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 07:45 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Don't remove it unless you absolutely have to, they are very hard to reinstall correctly and without chipping the paint. They never go back on as tight as they were originally.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 02, 03:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
So how many screws are there? Can you use a tool to unsnap the molding clips from under it like you do for the front windshield molding?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 02, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unfortunately, I am going to have to remove it. I can see some small surface rust spots starting to form under it so I need to take it off. I'm sure its going to be fun.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 02, 01:13 PM
Senior Tech
William

As Mark stated getting it back on right is the problem. Removal is fairly easy. Don't lose the clips. Have the molding polished while it is off.

Were I to do it again I would paint the area under the molding, reinstall it. Mask it; paint the rest of the car. The factory put heavy foil-backed paper under the molding to prevent scratches, you should find pieces of it when removed.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 02, 12:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I looked at mine again this morning and I still don't see any screws. In the middle is a small piece about 1 inch wide that the longest 2 pieces fits under. Then the long pieces go under a wider piece starting at about the back side of the quarter windows and then ends at the door. Do you have to remove the quarter window to get to those screws?
Is the molding on an RS any different? Seems like I've read it's haevier or wider.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 02, 04:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
Mine never fit right on my 68. Moved around and scratched the paint so rust began to form.

When the car was repainted I ordered new clips. I heard that many times the clips bust when you remove them. I expected it to be tight after it was re-installed with more clips. Wrong.

I ended up putting 4 small stainless steel screws in just above the bottom-most lip to hold it securely. Worked well and it's not visible.

I did notice two holes at the bend on each side where screws may have been once. Good luck.

------------------
68 Camaro ragtop, original 327, angle plug Camel humps, 202's, Performer, Holley 650 double pumper, Doug Thorley headers, 3-speed Saginaw, 3.08 posi, subframe connectors, Addco sway bar

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/cjkaram/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode