ANY Z10 OWNERS HERE ? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dave

i've got 2 questions..#1..im in the market for a z10. and i would like to know more about this rare code..."z/10".i do know that there were aprox. 300 of them made..and i understand no one knows the exact count.and that they didn't come with the houndstooth orange int.but i would like to hear from the owners,or past owners on what to look for or not to look for...or even any leads.. im considering selling my 69 x77 z28 for this car..so question #2...,what do you feel is more popular z/10 or z/28..what is your favorite?.thanx very much, david
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 01:44 PM
Senior Tech
Joel

I have had two Z10 cars and they are no different than any other RS/SS cars other than the stripe color and the stripe type.I think the cool thing is the Z10 and the Z11 pace car idea.I wonder if they only made 200 to 300 because of demand and not because of a limited run.I am a GM dealer and we get a letter every now and then on a limited run of cars with a certain option package and its not because they want them to be rare but to try to pick up a certain amount of extra sales that would be taken by the other car makers. As I said before I have only had two Z10 cars but know of several, I have had many RS/SS 69 cars and as far as I can tell anything you could get on a regular RS/SS car you could get on a Z10 except a very few but including big block and 375 hp and L89 and also delete items and so on.

I think the Z/28 is much more popular but the Z/28 vs Z10 in base configuration the Z10 will normaly bring as much or more because of the lower number on production,but I think the Z28 loaded with factory options will bring more that a loaded Z10 and thats only because of the price area you get into.What if you could find a 69 Z10 396/375 with L89 option and JL8 and oh say 25 or 30 more options? man what a car.I have been told of a true Z10 with the 396/375 L89 but have yet to be able to go and see it,maby some day.........

[This message has been edited by allcamaro (edited 09-02-2002).]
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 02:16 PM
kel
Senior Tech

Hey David,

My opinion....keep the Z-28. I've seen pleanty of Z-10s around here and only a few Z-28s. Keep it especially if you still have the orginal 302 in there.

Hope all is well with you and yours,
Kel

------------------
North Texas Camaro Club

Is the glass half empty or half full???.....Neither, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dave

well allcamaro it would be nice to own a z10 396-375 hp..what a rare find that would be..the ideal thing is to own both,z10 +z28...but no can do...hi kel,yes with the exception of the m20, it is all original and # matching.oh,and i ware your club tee shirt out here in az at the meets...david
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 05:57 PM

Alot of the Z10's were sold in Texas and
also in Arizona,(If I remember correctly.)
It is a Trim package like SS and RS. The
Z10 has all three packages on it combined with the count at somewhere between 200-300,
I'd say it's pretty rare. As you can see in my name, I'm kinda partial, I'm restoring one.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dave

HI DODZ10...CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT OPTIONS YOURS HAS? DAVID
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 07:54 PM

It came with a white standard interior,4 speed,big block, and all the other SS and RS
stuff including multi-leafsprings, hideaway
headlights,headlight washers etc... Can't tell yet if it had a console or not. The car has been tinkered with alot in it's 33
years. I've been going through the drivetrain and suspension. bodywork is next,
it isn't too bad. Then to the interior, everything is there but the front seats are out of a 74 or so and are black. the 396 thats in the car is not the matching engine but has been gone through and makes this car lethal. The rearend came with a 3:31 non-posi although i stongly suspect it has a 3:73 right now. Can't think of much else at the moment. Thanks for asking. DODZ10
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 02, 07:19 AM
kjk

I've always enjoyed the combination of "z28 stripes" with factory cowl hood AND the option of factory A/C that the Z10/Z11's offered.
As for a car 4-sale: Previous (New Mexico) owner of my Z10 was selling his second Z10 (BB car). I can check to see if it's sold yet.
As for numbers of Z10's, I'm beginning to question the minimum production run of 200-300 cars. There does seem to be quite a few remaining in this area as Kel stated. Were they just kept intact by owners since they were highly optioned? A previous post stated that the USCC had registered 95 Z10's a few years back. Is a 1 out of 3 survival rate typical, compared to Z11's? Can Kurt S. comment on how many Z10's are in the database?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 02, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dave

GREAT REPLIES...dodz10..sounds like a great car you've got there..and a fast one at that...please keep us updated on the restoration.and maby some pictures.. kjk...thank you very much and please do check for me on your old z10...i am very interested...thanx, david
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 02, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech
Roy

I built a Z10 Clone. My plate reads "FAKE Z10".

It was orginally a dover white RS/SS with black/white Houndstooth... so I installed the Orange Houndstooth and orange stripes. Althought lots of people like how it looks... I also have a red 69 SS Clone with standard black interior and hockystick strips that I built as a daily driver. As much attention as I get in the red car... I perfer to drive it much more than the Z10 Clone. I think the orange interior and color is a little too "flashy" for me to drive daily.

If I could do it over again, I would have painted it a different color other than white and put in a "BLACK" deluxe interior rather than the the orange. I guess it's all personal taste... but with the exception of the White Wonder... I'm not too partial to White Camaros.

I know if I had a real Z10/11 I would only paint it white with Orange... but only to keep it original. Other than that... hum... Rally Green!

Roy
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 02, 01:52 PM
kel
Senior Tech

Well David,

You know how I feel about big blocks!

If you can find an original Z-10 with the mighty Rat, then I may be on board with your letting the Z slip away. Then again, tough decisions!

That's a pretty funny comment about the T-shirt! Have you seen our new ones for sale now? Pretty Cool! (check out our website for pics!)

Kel

------------------
North Texas Camaro Club

Is the glass half empty or half full???.....Neither, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 02, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dave

really kel,i have one of your club tee shirts..i was given one when i gave a picture of my 97 brickyard festival pace car #1 to one of your club members...nice shirt!

------------------

1997 brickyard festival-
pace car no.1
1965 chevelle malibu
1964 chevelle s.s. 4-sp
1969 z28-x77 302
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 02, 11:55 AM
Jeremiah

The popularity of the Z/28 makes it the fastest appreciating of the Camaros, even Pace cars. Even with the high production numbers the Z/28 prices are rising faster than any other camaro built. I am not some biased Z/28 nut,This is a fact. The Z11 Indy convertible is my favorite of all camaros. I have also owned a one owner extremely well documented Z10. It is said that at least one Z10 left the assembly line with the 720 orange Houndstooth interior. A couple of Z10s have been found with the interior but proved not to be original. There is an experimental Z10 that was built with the LT1 350, multi stage kickdown Trans, rear differential cooler aluminum radiator, wheel wells and liquid tire chain, along with other rare or non production peices. This car is in Tulsa OK with a little over 40,000 original miles. Although not documented eye witness acounts say there were a few Z10s at Indy on track day. The Z10 is more than an SS/RS with an appearance package, it is a special car that deserves at least a small place in Pace car history.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 02, 12:09 PM
Jeremiah

I am sorry for getting off the topic but I have recieved some hateful response while researching the Z10. It seems that some are threatend by its existence. Yes I am refering to the Z11 crowd, Not all but quite a few. If you own a Z10 you know what I mean.

[This message has been edited by Jeremiah (edited 09-21-2002).]
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 02, 04:56 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Jeremiah - you've been trying to start something since 2000 over the Z-10... I've gone back and read several Z-10 threads and feel you are on a crusade. You never provided further information with regard to the Alum 427 in the first Z-10, you never provided further info on the mystery GM employee that feeds you all the Z-10 info you impart in the forums here and you seem to have a new story every other time you post.
I'm not posting this as an administrator, this is just me as another member of this site that has read all the "it's a pace car" threads and all the rumors that only you have been privy too and sharing here. Now out of the blue folks are bad mouthing the Z-10 and you feel you need to come here and defend it. No one here has ever said anything was wrong with the car and calling it an RSSS is no different than calling it a Camaro! Show us one photo of a Z-10 coupe running around the track at indy with the ragtops. Point is to some valid factual proof there was a Z-10 with an alum 427 or a LT-1. Give us the GM exec's name so someone like John Z can add credibility to this guy you know and the cars you speak of!! Did you ever get to see this one?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Z10 was the original prototype for the 69 Indy pace car. The first five Z10s were built with
experimental options and accesories not available on your usual camaros. Fisher bodies went on strike at the time
the original pace cars were to be built. There were no available convertible tubs so they built five coupes with indy
accents and special drive trains. With the pressure for a convertible pacer they were able to get four convertible
tubs. Three of the Z10s were dissmantled and the motors and other parts were used for three of the Z11s at indy
including the two acual pace cars. His father bought the #1 Z10 from R.H. Joe Bacon The car has several unusual
options including Air/rosewood/black and white houndstooth/JL8 four wheel disk with a 307 posi/special suspension
package with 1 3/8 sway bar/special V8 with aluminum trim/ liquid tire chain/special decals/aluminum drive
shaft,radiator and aluminum front wheel wells/14/8 rallies with F/70/14 tires/Special trans with a multi stage
kickdown/ rear differential cooler.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I'm really not trying to start a fight, but you seem to be using the forums here to make your cool car more than it is or something. I just don't understand what drives your postings!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode