Resto/replacement parts vendor? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

I'm a newbie 1st gen owner and would be interested in getting guidance/feedback/opinions on vendors.

I'm aware of all the major ones out there (i.e. Classic, NPD, etc.) but just don't have any experience with them in order to make an educated selection.

My criteria in priority order is customer service (i.e. quick shipping, no hassle returns, etc.), inventory (few backorders, large selection), quality & price.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

------------------
Original '68 SS, Ash Gold/ Ivy Gold, black vinyl top, 396/325hp, TH400, A/C, PS, power disc/drum brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 03:33 PM
Senior Tech

Welcome aboard. I personally like and have basically purchased everything for my car from Camaro Parts Network (www.camaro1.com). They have great service, competitive pricing and around 30-40 parts cars lying around just waiting to be cut up. If you want NOS they have that too. I am not kidding when I say that I built my car through them. Minus the motor and transmission but, they did hook me up with an original 12 bolt. Try 'em out. Good luck with your new car

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 12:46 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I have used them all, and they all have treated me well. I particularly like Rick's, because they are 1st generation only.

I have also used D&R quite a bit. I recently returned a 6/8 tach and a dash pad that I purchased 4 years ago.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 02:01 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
www.ss396.com is the supporter of this site,and they have alot of vendors around where you can pick up your orders without shipping charges(if ones close to you).

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech

I have dealt with Ricks,Blue Grass Classics,and many others,swap meets and so on.Have had good luck with most.Don't let this discourage you ,but I've found aroud 80% of all the reproduction parts I have bought have to be tweeked ,bent,re drilled,or something done to them to fit correctly.If they are bad beyond fit the vendors are usually good about exchange.Im saying this incase you get a part that needs a little massaging.If you send it back the replacment part you get exchanged might be worse.I think the best way to restore a car is to get all the parts NOS new old stock if you can find them.Ask the vendors.Some of them carry them on some parts.Also tell them what kind of car your building.Show car or Driver.Good luck.

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
71 Nova
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech

Or you could always try us!!! Matt's Classic Bowties. You won't beat our customer service, just me and my wife Kim! Its a full time deal, we are always here and have access to just about every part you could ever need and we guarantee to be the lowest price in the country on every part we sell! We also run 30-40 auctions on Ebay every week!

Matt G.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

The best Camaro parts vendor is the one within driving distance to your house

All kidding aside, I like touching and feeling repro parts before I buy them. It much easier to gauge quality in person. If I don't like the particular part, I'll let them know and order it from someone else.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech
Roy

I've used several of the "Big Repro Houses" and they all have been wonderful to work with. This is very... VERY important since you'll be doing a lot of returning of the Repro parts after they send them to you. I'd love to see a website that accurately lists the quality of the repro parts from 1 to 10. I've bought many many repro parts since I've built a couple of Camaros. The seat covers and door panels seems to be very high quality. If it says "OER"... it hit or miss. For me... more misses than hits.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 01:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

I have dealt with Matt's Bowties, and he and his wife are great! Great prices and free info. I would recommend them highly!...Mike
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Thanks for all the input so far!! I ordered an Assembly Manual & Fisher Body Manual from Classic...it took 10 days which is a little too long for my taste but I guess we had a 3 day weekend in there so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Keep the opinions coming!

Mark

------------------
Original '68 SS, Ash Gold/ Ivy Gold, black vinyl top, 396/325hp, TH400, A/C, PS, power disc/drum brakes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech

I stay away from the big dogs like Classic Ind. and Year One.They are to big imo.Ricks is excellent and i have had good luck with Ground Up.Pick one that is on the same coast as you.Since your in FLA i would use Ricks(GA) or NPD(FLA)I get my parts from Ricks in 2-3 days.I buy my Chevelle parts from NPD(and ground up) and they are good.If i need a part i usually look thru three or four catalogs to see whos got the best price,quality and who has it in stock,then decide.

[This message has been edited by ochrisl (edited 09-09-2002).]
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 02:45 PM
Leonard

Mark, i have been buying parts from Classic Industries for some time now. I have placed 3 large orders in the past 16 months, Each of those orders had a back order. Other than that, no problems. Quality parts
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 04:48 PM
Senior Tech

I quit selling parts because of the shoddy quality of some parts. Most of the stuff comes from the same MFG so all you're dickering over is price and "service". I notice you're looking for "no hassle" returns. This will be important because a lot of the junk might get returned.

Also, there's a lot of "mystery" parts. Parts you can see in catalogs, and even order.... with a delivery date of TWENTY-FOUR MONTHS. (also called backorder).

You need to be selective and careful in shopping, regardless of which place you buy from. One repro part might be excellent. The other repro part (all of them, from everyone) might be warped like a pretzel and useless. You can get PO'ed at a multi-million dollar entity. I didn't like having people PO'ed at ME.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode