Going Home (one of these days....) - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have been working on my car for 2+ years now and I am finally rounding the last corner and heading toward the home stretch. For those of you who wonder, I am a born an raised Ohio boy. I have been in Guatemala for three years now and eventually, not necessarily this year or next, I will be heading back state side. With this in mind, I was wondering if anyone has any kind of info. as to what I need to do to bring my car home. I have the shipping thing down so that is one less prob. Can it be done legally? I would really like to know about the paperwork? It's in my name, title and the whole nine. Is there some sort of agency that I can consult with? Has anyone done this before? I may be asking this question a little early but, I like to be prepared. Any help would be nice

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 06:12 PM
Jeff

years ago (1979) I had to provide proof that my 69 SS El Camino was shipped into the country from the Mainland. Couldnt do it so it ended up being parted out instead of letting one of the customs officals end up with it. I did bring some of the car back to the USA, in my household goods shipment. the Rear-end/Tranny and the heads. Rest of the car was sold or traded for things I was looking for, for later use.

Do you have anything tht says it was imported into the country? You could even drive the Trans American Highway north through Mexico and then into the US. I would try to get stateside plates prior to leaving where your at now though and just before you cross the Mex/US line switch them over since they would question the car.

------------------
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro/index.html
http://www.hawaiianislandcamaros.org
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'll have to revise all the paperwork that I have on the car. I bought it from the original owner. She won the car in 69 at a raffle of some sort. Thanks for the heads-up.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Jeff, how would I get state plates? What kind of proof did the customs agents want? Meaning, about how your SS was shipped from the states to wherever you were? I thought about driving it up from through Mexico but, I do a lot of business with Sealand, Crowley and Dole (ocean carriers) and I already have them promising a free container ride to Houston/New Orleans/Miami or whatever other port I would like to go through. Besides, have you ever driven through Mexico? Aside from the quality issues of PEMEX gas the roads aren't that hot. Really don't want to destroy my car on the ride home. Thanks for responding. At least I know that someone else has done it.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 05:10 AM
Guess

I would contact the Ohio DMV for starters and see what they recommend. They may pass you on to the right authorities.

Here's their URL: http://ohiobmv.com/

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
HwyStar's Garage!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 05:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 08:06 AM
Jeff

At the time in Panama they had some pretty tuff customs laws and proof had to be shown that it was shipped privately from the USA and not by a dealer to be sold there. car at the time had none and they wouldnt let it be shipped. They even thought they were going to get it that day but I still had 2 months before I was to leave country. It went back to howard AFB with me and a month later the car was never on the road again

If you deal with the lines and they will give you a container at no cost, I would think they would know what you need since that is their business. Got a feeling all will work itself out in the end.

------------------
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro/index.html
http://www.hawaiianislandcamaros.org
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thank you all for the help. I feel much better now that I at least have a place to start the process. I was a little nervous that I would have to give the car away. Especially after spending lots of $$$$$. Thanks again.

------------------
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 03:33 PM
Team Member
John

Check with U.S. Customs at the port where you intend to bring it in, and they'll tell you everything you need to know; once it clears Customs coming into the U.S., you can register it in any state with the Customs documents as proof of ownership. Any shipping line should provide brokerage services as well that handle all this.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode